Re: [Autoconf] updated draft on aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

"Teco Boot" <teco@inf-net.nl> Wed, 25 February 2009 14:24 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
To: 'Thomas Heide Clausen' <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:24:53 +0100
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org, 'Emmanuel Baccelli' <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] updated draft on aspects of multi-hop wireless communication

OK, now we have at least three classes of routers:
1: Core router:
    - Forward packets
    - Advertize links
    - Advertize stub networks / external networks
    - Learn topology
2: Edge router (example from Thomas):
    - Forward packets
    - NOT advertize links
    - Advertize stub networks / external networks
    - Learn topology
3: My passive RIP example (built quite some time ago...)
    - NOT forward packets
    - NOT advertize links
    - NOT advertize stub networks / external networks
    - Learn topology
The last one is strictly spoken not a router. It is a "host running a
routing protocol".

For a protocol that constantly repeats topology info, a passive listener is
acceptable.

For protocols that implement ACK based topology flooding (e.g. OSPF), the
node should be part of the hello and flooding mechanisms, but does not have
a requirement to inject links and thus does not forward packets.

Teco.