Re: [Autoconf] WC consensus call for RFC5889 modifications (Fwd: Forgot one [Was: RFC 5889)

Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl> Wed, 04 August 2010 09:00 UTC

From: Teco Boot <teco@inf-net.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:01:08 +0200
To: Ryuji Wakikawa <ryuji.wakikawa@gmail.com>
Cc: "Christopher (UK) Dearlove" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, Autoconf Chairs <autoconf-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "autoconf@ietf.org autoconf@ietf.org" <autoconf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] WC consensus call for RFC5889 modifications (Fwd: Forgot one [Was: RFC 5889)

One problem and proposal for correction. I don't want to delay the process,
so accepting or rejecting it is acceptable (RFC is informational, so
I can ignore all what it says). I suggest authors, ADs, chairs and Erik
decide.

The NEW text says: "must be of the modified EUI-64 form".
There can be other mechanisms that assure uniqueness. Other text says:
"such identifiers could be based on factory assignment or configuration".
The new text will bring a consistency problem in the document.
A _should_ helps:

NEWER:
o  In general there is no mechanism to ensure that IPv6 link-local
 addresses are unique across multiple links, however link-local
 addresses using an IID that are of the modified EUI-64 form are
 globally unique. Thus if link-local addresses are used to reliably
 identify routers then they should be of the modified EUI-64 form.
                            ------

Christopher Dearlove brought up same issue:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/autoconf/current/msg02736.html
He suggests removing the last text sentence completely:
<Chris>

NEW:
  o  In general there is no mechanism to ensure that IPv6 link-local
     addresses are unique across multiple links, however link-local
     addresses using an IID that are of the modified EUI-64 form are
     globally unique.

(Personally, I'd modify that a little further, to:

  o  In general there is no mechanism to ensure that IPv6 link-local
     addresses are unique across multiple links, however link-local
     addresses using an IID that are of the modified EUI-64 form
     ahould be globally unique

</Chris>

With correction "ahould" to "should", I support this last proposal.
Less text is better.

Teco

Op 3 aug 2010, om 02:14 heeft Ryuji Wakikawa het volgende geschreven: