[AVTCORE] WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02 - proposed text for section 2.1 mux items 3 and 4

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Fri, 22 August 2014 20:28 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:27:43 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp.all@tools.ietf.org>, "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "dart@ietf.org" <dart@ietf.org>, "avt@ietf.org WG" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: [AVTCORE] WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02 - proposed text for section 2.1 mux items 3 and 4

Section 2.1 of the draft currently has this text on WebRTC multiplexing:

   3.  An RTP session could be multiplexed with other protocols via UDP
       encapsulation over a common pair of UDP ports as described in
       [RFC5764] as updated by
       [I-D.petithuguenin-avtcore-rfc5764-mux-fixes]; and

   4.  The data may be further encapsulated via STUN [RFC5389] and TURN
       [RFC5766] for NAT (Network Address Translator) traversal.

That text has at least a couple of problems:

	- This list is about WebRTC, so item 3 ought to specifically
		focus on the WebRTC data channel.
	- STUN doesn't encapsulate WebRTC traffic (TURN does).

On the latter, for simplicity, I plan to remove the mention of
encapsulation from here and deal with it elsewhere as part of
discussion of what happens if TURN decides to send all the traffic
over TCP (that'll be in a separate message, stay tuned).

Proposed new text (merging item 4 into item 3, which aligns with the
structure of RFC 5764 and the rfc5764-mux-fixes draft):

   3.  An RTP session could be multiplexed with a single SCTP over DTLS
       association plus signaling traffic for STUN [RFC5389] and TURN
       [RFC5766] into a single transport level flow as described in
       [RFC5764] and [I-D.petithuguenin-avtcore-rfc5764-mux-fixes].
       STUN and TURN are used for NAT traversal.

Thanks,
--David