Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-02.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Wed, 11 May 2011 16:04 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:04:50 +0100
To: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
Cc: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-02.txt

Qin,

This version is better, but I'm still not sure it fully clarifies when third-party loss reports should be sent in place of NACKs. In particular:

- The abstract still reads as-if the draft is solely focussed on feedback suppression. I suggest it could be rephrased something like: “In a large RTP session using the RTCP feedback mechanism defined in RFC 4585, a feedback target may experience transient overload if some event causes a large number of receivers to send feedback at once. This overload is usually avoided by ensuring that feedback reports are forwarded to all receivers, allowing them to avoid sending duplicate feedback reports. However, there are certain cases where it is not possible to forward feedback reports, and this may allow feedback implosion. This memo defines a new RTCP third-party loss report that can be used to inform receivers that a feedback target is aware of some loss event, allowing them to suppress feedback. Associated SDP signalling is also defined.”

- Section 3, 2nd paragraph: this doesn’t clearly differentiate when a third-party loss report should be used compared to a NACK. In particular, the sentence “Upon downstream loss is reported to the intermediary, the intermediary SHOULD send the Third Party Loss report to the other downstream receivers which are not aware of the loss reports, to inform those receivers of the loss and suppress their feedback” needs to be expanded to discuss what “are not aware of the loss reports” means in this context (i.e., when it's not possible to distribute the NACKs to all receivers).

- Section 3, 3rd paragraph: this would be much clearer if it discussed when it’s appropriate to monitor the feedback and send a third-party loss report to downstream receivers, rather than just reflect NACKs back downstream.

- Section 6.1, 2nd paragraph: when in Simple Feedback Mode, NACKs are reflected and there’s no need for the third-party loss report. The downstream third-party loss report is only generated when in Distribution Source Feedback Summary mode. I’m not sure it makes sense to write generic rules in Section 6.1, instead of writing specific rules for each of the two feedback modes in Section 61.1 and 6.1.2.

Cheers,
Colin