Re: [AVTCORE] Possible Additional functionalities for draft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms

Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com> Tue, 11 October 2011 21:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:36:04 -0600
From: Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com>
To: fboronat@dcom.upv.es
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Possible Additional functionalities for draft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms

Welcome to the group. I've removed the cross-post to xrblock. We've been
discussing IDMS in this group (AVTCORE a.k.a. AVT). Here are some initial
comments:

   1. The sender and the MSAS are not necessarily co-located. You want to
   measure propagation time from sender to SCs not from MSAS to SCs.
   2. Propagation time is often a function of packet size. Measuring with
   small RTCP packets won't give you the same results as with larger packets
   containing media.
   3. Since the sender and all receivers have an NTP time reference, it is
   possible to measure propagaion time directly. It is not necessary to measure
   RTT and divide by two.
   4. One way of achieving coarse sync without modification to the IDMS
   proposal is to just start streaming with null media data. Once the MSAS
   receives IDMS XR reports from all receivers and distributes sync information
   to receivers and the receivers have done whatever they need to do to get in
   sync, the sender can be queued to start sending real data.

--
Kevin Gross
+1-303-447-0517