Re: [AVTCORE] Treatment of RTCP (was Re: [Dart] Colin Perkins comments - WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02)

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Tue, 26 August 2014 16:19 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:19:02 +0100
To: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>
Cc: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "dart@ietf.org" <dart@ietf.org>, "avt@ietf.org WG" <avt@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Treatment of RTCP (was Re: [Dart] Colin Perkins comments - WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02)

On 26 Aug 2014, at 16:52, Paul E. Jones <paulej@packetizer.com> wrote:
> Ben,

>>> I don’t agree that RTCP information should be sent as higher priority than the media. Ideally, it should be sent with the same priority as the media, so it can be used to sample the RTT. This RTT sample is independent of RMCAT. It’s in base RTP specification, and so is something we need to support to the extent possible.
>>>
>>> Since not all the media sent by a single SSRC has the same marking, my suggestion would be that each SSRC mark the RTCP packets it sends with one of the same code points as it uses to mark the media. Since RTCP is somewhat important, it would make sense for each SSRC to mark the RTCP packets it sends using the highest priority code point it uses to mark the RTP media packets it sends.
>>
>> That makes sense to me. Paul, and others, do you agree with that last paragraph?
>
> I agree that the value should be one of the values used for media, but the challenge is specifying which DSCP value to use.  If audio is sent using EF, video as AF41, app sharing video as AF31, etc., which of these does the endpoint choose to use for RTCP?

Such an endpoint will have three SSRC values, and will mark the RTCP packets sent by each SSRC in the same way as the media packets sent by that SSRC. That is, the RTCP relating to the audio will be marked EF, the RTCP relating to the video will be marked AF41, and the RTCP relating to the application sharing video will be marked AF31. The RTCP packets for each stream are sent separately, so this case seems straight-forward.

The more difficult case is when an SSRC is sending video using different markings for RTP packets carrying the I- and P-frames. Should that SSRC then mark its RTCP packets like the RTP packets carrying I-frames, like the RTP packets carrying P-frames, or what?

Colin

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/