Re: [AVTCORE] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 05 March 2020 21:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 13:15:19 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "avtcore-chairs@ietf.org" <avtcore-chairs@ietf.org>, "jonathan.lennox42@gmail.com" <jonathan.lennox42@gmail.com>, "draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines@ietf.org>, "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 04:30:52PM +0000, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for the many detailed comments. Please see inline for reponses and
> comments.
>
> On Wed, 2020-03-04 at 14:36 -0800, Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker wrote:
> > Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
> > draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-11: Discuss
> >
> > When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
> > email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
> > introductory paragraph, however.)
> >

> > Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
> > for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
> >

> > The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines/

> > DISCUSS:
> >
> > As Mirja maybe already noted, Section 3.4.3 says:
> >
> >    Section 8.3 of the RTP Specification [RFC3550] recommends using a
> >    single SSRC space across all RTP sessions for layered coding.  Based
> >    on the experience so far however, we recommend to use a solution with
> >    explicit binding between the RTP streams that is agnostic to the used
> >    SSRC values.  That way, solutions using multiple RTP streams in a
> >
> > This sounds an awful lot like we're trying to update the recommendations
> > from RFC 3550, and looks like different text than was discussed in
> > Mirja's ballot thread.  Let's discuss whether the formal Updates:
> > mechanism is appropriate here or we should consider rewording.
>

> I think maybe the simplest rewording is dropping the explicit reference to
> Section 8.3. It is a good recommendation to use an explicit mechanism that is
> independent on your RTP session structure.

I am mindful of the concern raised in the ongoing appeal against the IESG
regarding "updates/revises other documents by describing them as
inconsistent with the specification under review rather than enumerating
them", so we may want to just note here that "experience has found that an
explicit binding between the RTP streams, agnostic of SSRC values, behaves
well".

> AVTCORE should consider updating this part of the RTP specification. And that is
> a fairly short and straightforward document.

Agreed.

> > COMMENT:
> >
> > Abstract, Introduction
> >
> > Do we consider SRTP to be included in discussion of "RTP"?
>
> Yes, SRTP is actually "just" a profile of RTP or actually two (SAVP and SAVPF).
>

> > Section 1
> >
> >    from a particular usage of the RTP multiplexing points.  The document
> >    will provide some guidelines and recommend against some usages as
> >    being unsuitable, in general or for particular purposes.
> >
> > If something is unsuitable in general, should the protocol feature be
> > deprecated/removed?
>
> One common unsuitable usage is to overload the payload type for other purposes.
> We can't deprecate the PT as that would mean that a receiver can't interpret the
> RTP Payload in the right way. This document do discuss why overloading it is
> unsuitable and provides alternatives for how to do this a better way.
>

> > Section 2.1
> >
> >    RTP Session Group:  One or more RTP sessions that are used together
> >       to perform some function.  Examples are multiple RTP sessions used
> >       to carry different layers of a layered encoding.  In an RTP
> >       Session Group, CNAMEs are assumed to be valid across all RTP
> >       sessions, and designate synchronisation contexts that can cross
> >       RTP sessions; i.e. SSRCs that map to a common CNAME can be assumed
> >       to have RTCP SR timing information derived from a common clock
> >       such that they can be synchronised for playout.
> >
> > I suggest expanding "RTCP SR timing" or providing a definition.
>
> Yes, we can expand that to RTCP Sender Report timing.
> >
> > Section 3.1
> >
> > It seems a little surprising to use simulcast as an example in the
> > "needed to represent one media source" bullet and then have separate
> > bullets for simulcast permutations.
>
> Yes, that is a bit strange, let us look at what to do about that.
>

> >    sessions to group the RTP streams.  The choice suitable for one
> >    reason, might not be the choice suitable for another reason.  The
> >
> > nit: is it the "reason" or the "situation"/"scenario" that is relevant
> > here?
>
> Scenario I would say.
>

> > Section 3.2
> >
> >    RTP streams.  Figure 1 outlines the process of demultiplexing
> >    incoming RTP streams starting already at the socket representing
> >    reception of one or transport flows, e.g. an UDP destination port.
> >
> > nit: "one or more"?
>
> Yes, from an RTP session perspective, multiple sockets / 5-tuple UDP flows etc
> can actually be used to provide RTP/RTCP packets. This becomes much more evident
> if you look at some of the topologies discussed in RFC 7667.

I was just noting that "of one or transport" was missing a word ... but
this sounds reasonable, too :)

> So maybe there should be multiple arrows with packets and "Socket(s)" in the box
> to make this clearer.
>

> > I'd consider putting more arrowheads in the downward direction, though
> > it's unclear if the resultant vertical expansion of the figure is worth
> > it.
>
> You mean into the PB and DEC boxes?

Right.

> [...]
>

> > Section 4.1.4
> >
> >    Endpoints that aren't updated to handle multiple streams following
> >    these recommendations can have issues with participating in RTP
> >    sessions containing multiple SSRCs within a single session, such as:
> >
> > Talking about endpoints being "updated [...] following these
> > recommendations" also makes me wonder whether an Updates relationship to
> > 3550 or other document(s) would be appropriate.
>
> So this being an informational document targeting Application designers using
> RTP and the intention is not really to change things in this document. There do
> exist a number of documents that will update RFC 3550. When Cluster 238 is
> processed RFC 3550 will have a number of Updated RFCs.
>
> So, I still think the answer is no to have this document update RFC 3550.
>

> > Section 4.2.2
> >
> >       the, in most cases 2-3, additional flows.  However, packet loss
> >       causes extra delays, at least 100 ms, which is the minimal
> >       retransmission timer for ICE.
> >
> > Doesn't RFC 8445 say 500 ms, not 100?
>
> Yes, your right. Probably wrote this during the discussion in the ICE WG and
> never reflected over the final consensus in the document. Will correct.
>

> >    Deep Packet Inspection and Multiple Streams:  Firewalls differ in how
> >       deeply they inspect packets.  There exist some risk that deeply
> >       inspecting firewalls will have similar legacy issues with multiple
> >       SSRCs as some RTP stack implementations.
> >
> > Re "some risk", can we say that this has definitely been seen in the
> > wild at least once?
>
> I can't point to a particular case from the top of my head. But I have not been
> much in the day to day running RTP applications. However, I do assume this have
> been an issue. Let me check.
>

> > Section 4.3.1
> >
> >    only premium users are allowed to access.  The mechanism preventing a
> >    receiver from getting the high quality stream can be based on the
> >    stream being encrypted with a key that user can't access without
> >    paying premium, using the key-management to limit access to the key.
> >
> > nit: there seems to be a missing word here ("paying a premium"?)
>
> Yes.
>

> >    SRTP [RFC3711] has no special functions for dealing with different
> >    sets of master keys for different SSRCs.  The key-management
> >    functions have different capabilities to establish different sets of
> >    keys, normally on a per-endpoint basis.  For example, DTLS-SRTP
> >    [RFC5764] and Security Descriptions [RFC4568] establish different
> >    keys for outgoing and incoming traffic from an endpoint.  This key
> >    usage has to be written into the cryptographic context, possibly
> >    associated with different SSRCs.
> >
> > I don't really understand what this paragraph is trying to say.
>
> I think it tries to warn that there are a descrepancy between how SRTP is
> defined, the implementations capabilities when combined with particular key-
> manangement and the full set of RTP's flexibilities to create an RTP Session.

Thanks.

> > Section 4.3.2
> >
> >    Transport translator-based sessions and multicast sessions, can
> >
> > This doesn't seem to match the terminology we used in § 4.1.2.
> > (This terminology appears a couple other times, later.)
>
> These are RFC 7667 terms. We likely should use the RFC 7667 short hand to make
> that clearer.
>

> > Section 5.1
> >
> >    h.  If the applications need finer control over which session
> >        participants that are included in different sets of security
> >        associations, most key-management will have difficulties
> >        establishing such a session.
> >
> > nit: the grammar is off, here (remove "that" and use "key-management
> > techniques"?)
>
> Ok.
>

> > Section 5.3
> >
> >    2.  The application can indicate its usage of the RTP streams on RTP
> >        session level, in case multiple different usages exist.
> >
> > nit: is this "in case" (precautionary) or "in the case when"
> > (descriptive)?
>
> The later, as each RTP session can be bound to a particular usage.
>

> > Section 6
> >
> >    Transport Support Extensions:  When defining new RTP/RTCP extensions
> >
> > nit: should we swap the order of "Support" and "Extensions"?
>
> Or "Extensions for Transport Support". Will address.
>

> > Section 11.1
> >
> > RFC 3830 does not feel like it needs to be normative.
>
> Agree, its usage is an example.
>

> > Appendix A
> >
> >    4.   Sending multiple streams in the same sequence number space makes
> >         it impossible to determine which payload type, which stream a
> >         packet loss relates to, and thus to which stream to potentially
> >         apply packet loss concealment or other stream-specific loss
> >         mitigation mechanisms.
> >
> > I don't think this parses properly (around "which payload type,")
>
> Will attempt to address.
>

> > Appendix B.1
> >
> >    One aspect of the existing signalling is that it is focused on RTP
> >    sessions, or at least in the case of SDP the media description.
> >
> > nit: I think there's an extra or missing word here (around "the media
> > description").
>
> Yes, something is strange.
>
> maybe
>
> ... or in the case of SDP, the media descriptions concept.

That looks better, yes.

Thanks,

Ben