Re: [AVTCORE] Regarding draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-15

"Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 12 March 2012 09:42 UTC

From: "Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, IETF AVTCore WG <avt@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:42:50 +0100
acceptlanguage: nl-NL, en-US
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Regarding draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-15

Hi Magnus  (, Qin)

Version 15 makes the following three statements:

1)Section 3:

"When a receiver gets a RTCP TPLR message, it MUST follow the rules
for NACK suppression in RFC4585 [RFC4585]and refrain from sending a
feedback request (e.g., NACK or FIR) for the missing packets reported
in the message,which is dealt with in the same way as receiving NACK"

2)Section 3:

"A receiver may have sent a Feedback message according to the RTP/AVPF
scheduling algorithm of RFC4585 [RFC4585] before receiving a RTCP
TPLR message, but further feedback messages for those sequence
numbers SHOULD be suppressed after receiving the RTCP TPLR"

3)Section 7:

"Also note that endpoints that receive a Third Party Loss Report would
be well-advised to ignore it, unless the security is in place to
authenticate the sender of the Third Party Loss Report"

These statements are still not aligned with each other.

1) -> indicates that a TPLR message always results in FB suppression (MUST), and aligned with RFC 4585

2) -> why does the case where a receiver sent a NACK before receiving a TPLR, represents an exception on the receiver behaviour defined in the 1st statement (SHOULD instead of MUST)

3) -> is effective a SHOULD for non-authenticated TPLR messages.

Magnus, from your statement below, I take it that you propose a receiver behaviour different from the one defined in RFC 4585 (so SHOULD suppress feedback instead of MUST suppress feedback in RFC 4585).

If you do this , it requires some explicit reasoning that explains this difference , and explicit indication that this behaviour is different from feedback suppression rule defined in RFC 4585.
Tom