Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-07.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Tue, 11 October 2011 14:13 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:13:22 +0100
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-avtcore-feedback-supression-rtp-07.txt

Qin,

On 11 Oct 2011, at 09:11, Qin Wu wrote:
> Hi, Colin:
> Thank for your careful review, please see my replies belows.
>
> Regards!
> -Qin

How does the receiver of the TPLR know the RTT value to use? It doesn't seem to have the information it needs to calculate this.

>> - Section 3, 4th paragraph: "In the case the first TPLR is lost and the additional TPLR arrives at the receiver, the receiver should immediately refresh the timer" - sure, but what else would it do? This makes it seem that something different is done in this case, but the behaviour looks to be the same whether or not a TPLR is lost.
>
> [Qin]: Assume the middlebox sending NACK upstream and TPLR downstream at the same time,refresh timer means waiting for one RTT from media source to get the retransmitted RTP data packet after getting that additional TPLR, however if the middlebox itself is repair server, the timer should be same irrespectively a TPLR is lost, i.e., 1/2 RTT from middlebox to the receiver.

I don't understand. The receiver of a TPLR cannot know if a previous TPLR has been lost, therefore it will behave the same in both cases.

>> - Section 6.3: if a monitor co-located with a translator detects a loss, why does that monitor not send a NACK? Not clear what's the reason for using a TPLR here.
>
> [Qin]:That's becos translator has a monitor, which told translator to send TPLR, if translator has no monitor and receives NACK from a receiver, this receiver should forward NACK directly. Does this clarify?

No, since an RTCP translator can't send a TPLR as it doesn't have an SSRC. The monitor has its own SSRC, and so can send RTCP reports, and should send a NACK packet since it is the monitor that detects the loss.

>> - Section 6.5: the behaviour described makes sense for an RTP-terminating mixer, but an RFC 3550 mixer could just forward the FIR or PLI messages without using the TPLR, no?
>
> [Qin]: According to Section 7.3 of RFC 3550, a mixer must not forward RTCP unaltered between
>   the two domains, also according to section 3.4 of RFC5117, In some cases, the reception
>   of a codec-control message may result in the generation and
>   transmission of RTCP feedback messages by the Mixer to the
>   participants in the other domain.
>  So I think this is not a issue.

I disagree. There are two valid ways to process RTCP FIR or PLI messages in a mixer: either do as you describe and send a TPLR message, or forward the FIR/PLI to all participants. Both are valid behaviours, yet your draft only mentions one of them. It should mention both.

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/