Re: [AVTCORE] Suite B Profile for DTLS-SRTP Internet-Draft

"Peck, Michael A" <mpeck@mitre.org> Wed, 01 June 2011 12:59 UTC

From: "Peck, Michael A" <mpeck@mitre.org>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Glen Zorn <gwz@net-zen.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 08:35:52 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>, "Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Suite B Profile for DTLS-SRTP Internet-Draft

Magnus, Glen,

Thanks for your comments.  Replies below.

The Suite B Profile does not define its own SRTP crypto suites, key derivation, TLS cipher suites, or authentication mechanism but instead makes use of definitions in existing RFCs or other Internet-Drafts. The Suite B Profile describes the Suite B compliant use of all of these to promote interoperability.  (The Suite B profiles of other protocols follow a similar pattern.)

RFC 6188 is not used by our draft (RFC 6188 defines AES-192 and AES-256 SRTP crypto suites using counter mode.  We do not use counter mode or AES-192 in this profile.  We use AES-128 and AES-256 in GCM mode.)

The Suite B Profile makes use of AES-GCM.  As described in section 7 and 8 of our draft, the SRTP crypto suites and DTLS-SRTP SRTP Protection Profiles used by the Suite B Profile are defined in draft-ietf-avt-srtp-aes-gcm.

As described in section 9 of our draft (and in draft-ietf-avt-srtp-aes-gcm), the AES Counter Mode based key derivation function from RFC3711 is used.

>>> Independent I think you need to make it clear in the document that
>>> SuiteB does contain these policy rules.
>>
>> I don't really understand this comment: the very first sentence of the
>> Abstract says The United States government has published guidelines for
>> "NSA Suite B Cryptography", which defines cryptographic algorithm policy
>> for national security applications.
>> ^^^^^^
>>
>> I don't know how it could be made much clearer or more obvious.

>What I meant is the fact that SuiteB key management is not allowed to
>use Security Descriptions nor MIKEY per policy. The stress on the quoted
>sentence are "these" where "these" referring to forcing usage of DTLS.

This profile specifies the use of DTLS-SRTP as the key management mechanism.

Thanks
Mike Peck