Subject: Re: [AVT] Pointer for the IETF-for-pro-production folks ...
From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:17:48 -0700
List-Id: Audio/Video Transport Working Group <avt.ietf.org>

>         By and large, store-and-forward media flows
>are going over IP, but real-time media flows use
>mostly circuit-switched standards

The unmentioned - but significant - big question here, however, is: 
Just how important will "real-time media flows" be for 'television' 
in the future?  More and more people these days are watching 
television shows 'on demand', using DVRs, or downloaded off the 
Internet.  (Personally, almost all of the 'television' that I watch 
these days is shows downloaded via bittorrent.)  If this trend 
continues - and there's every sign that it will - then what will be 
the best way to design a television nework when live viewing becomes 
the exception (e.g., major sporting events like the Superbowl or 
World Cup final) rather than the rule?

         Ross.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt