[AVTCORE] RTPTOPO & H.248; RE: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-lennox-avtcore-rtp-topo-offer-answer-00.txt

"Schwarz, Albrecht (Albrecht)" <albrecht.schwarz@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 12 March 2012 11:46 UTC

From: "Schwarz, Albrecht (Albrecht)" <albrecht.schwarz@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: 'Jonathan Lennox' <jonathan@vidyo.com>, 'IETF AVTCore WG' <avt@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:46:22 +0100
acceptlanguage: de-DE, en-US
Cc: megaco <megaco@ietf.org>
Subject: [AVTCORE] RTPTOPO & H.248; RE: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-lennox-avtcore-rtp-topo-offer-answer-00.txt

Hello Jonathan,

like to open a separate email thread (because not related to Roni's comments):

Scope of your draft is related to RTP TOPO considerations, complemented by SDP O/A exchange.
Like to note that this subject is also addressed by ITU-T SG16 Q.3 for "RTP topology functions" located in decomposed gateways according H.248.
The work item is called
H.248.RTPTOPO "RTP topology dependent RTCP handling by H.248 Media Gateways with IP Terminations"

You may find a draft document under e.g.
http://wftp3.itu.int/av-arch/avc-site/2009-2012/1202_Gen/AVD-4162.zip

There are some overlappings between your considerations and H.248.RTPTOPO, primarily on "topology awareness", "topology configuration/control".

H.248.RTPTOPO considers all your four indicated RTP topologies.
The SDP O/A procedures are processed by the H.248 Media Gateway Controller (MGC). The RTP functions are embedded in the H.248 Media Gateway.

Appendix I provides some initial ideas how the RTP topology could be controlled via H.248 ("possibly triggered by SDP O/A").

Appendix II indicates also the correlation between SRTP vs RTP topologies.

Regards,
Albrecht