[AVTCORE] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-avtext-framemarking-14: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 13 April 2023 01:01 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-avtext-framemarking@ietf.org, avtcore-chairs@ietf.org, avt@ietf.org, Jonathan Lennox <jonathan.lennox@8x8.com>, jonathan.lennox@8x8.com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:01:25 -0700
Subject: [AVTCORE] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-avtext-framemarking-14: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-avtext-framemarking-14: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-framemarking/

COMMENT:

Thanks to Carl Wallace for the SECDIR review.

I support Paul’s DISCUSS for needing to discuss the privacy considerations.

My refinement on his position is whether there would be any circumstance where
an attacker knowing that an encrypted payload has a I-frame (as revealed by
this extension) would provide additional information in traffic analysis style
attack (i.e., observing the changes in the rate of the I-frames).  A
hypothetical scenario might be a variable rate codecs that reduces the I-frame
rate in the absence of  motion in the video (to save bandwidth), and increases
the I-frame rate when there is motion (to improve the fidelity of the video
stream).  In such a circumstance, traffic analysis would reveal at least
something about the encrypted payload (i.e., the presence or absence of motion)