Re: [AVTCORE] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-payload-rtp-jpegxs-02.txt

Antonin Descampe <a.descampe@intopix.com> Mon, 16 December 2019 15:51 UTC

From: Antonin Descampe <a.descampe@intopix.com>
To: "Roni Even (A)" <roni.even@huawei.com>
CC: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:51:32 +0000
x-originating-ip: [78.129.63.160]
x-tm-as-product-ver: SMEX-11.7.0.1024-8.500.1020-25106.004
x-tm-as-result: No--8.650000-8.000000-31
x-tm-as-user-approved-sender: No
x-tm-as-user-blocked-sender: No
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-payload-rtp-jpegxs-02.txt

Hi Roni,

Thanks for the reminder.

We still plan to update the draft soon. We have extensively discussed the issue at the last JPEG meeting in November and it raised several related concerns. So we are currently trying to find the best tradeoff between goals that are sometimes antagonistic. Experiments are currently running here internally to allow us to move forward on this. We are aware that we need to freeze the spec very soon.

For people interested in this topic on this list, here is a small summary of the status.

The identified requirements for RTP transport are
1. Number of bytes and number of packets per frame needs to be constant (ST2110-22). This prevents a scenario with 1! slice per packet and vbr slices, as already mentioned.
2. No transcoding when changing the encapsulation: for instance, in a transcoding use case from MPEG-2 TS to ST2110-22, we would like to avoid the transcoder having to run a deep inspection of the codestream to build the RTP header (to look for slice boundaries for example). This also prevents a scenario with 1! slice per packet and vbr slices. With cbr slices, it could work but see requirement (4). With additional slice size markers, it could also work but see requirement (3).
3. Preserve low-latency behaviour. This prevents inserting the slice size in front of each slice, which would have been able to alleviate the codestream parsing.
4. No quality loss. Cbr slices induce a small quality loss, especially for desktop content.
5. Low complex HW and fast SW decoding. In particular, fast SW decoding seems to require being able to parse a RTP packet without having necessarily received the previous ones, which implies certain information to be found in the RTP header. This goes against requirement (2). Experiments are currently on going to confirm this.

Any comment is welcome of course.

I’ll keep you posted once we find the best tradeoff here.

Kind regards,

Antonin