Re: [AVTCORE] call for AVTcore agenda requests for IETF 93

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Mon, 06 July 2015 08:41 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 01:41:15 -0700
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] call for AVTcore agenda requests for IETF 93

I would like some agenda time to present the following document:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aboba-avtcore-sfu-rtp-00

Abstract

 Selective Forwarding Units (SFUs) supporting Scalable Video Coding (SVC) typically parse the RTP payload in the forwarding plane, and often utilize codec-specific control messages within the control plane. As a result, the control and/or forwarding planes of these implementations need to be modified (sometimes substantially) in order to support additional video codecs. With SFUs now supporting VP8 in addition to H.264/SVC, and with additional video codecs expected to become popular, the inflexibility of SFU designs that depend on RTP payload parsing has become increasingly apparent. In addition, these designs cannot function where the RTP payload is inaccessible, such as when it is encrypted with a key not available to the SFU. Based on a summary of SFU implementation practice, this document develops requirements for codec-independent SFUs.