Re: [AVTCORE] Clarifying the H.265 RTP payload format specification's text on when to set the RTP "M" bit

Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com> Fri, 09 August 2013 20:17 UTC

From: Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:11:01 -0700
To: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>, "payload@ietf.org" <payload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Clarifying the H.265 RTP payload format specification's text on when to set the RTP "M" bit

> Though I don’t think it is [] really necessary, I think we can either simply add a note after the semantics of the M bit saying that the first slice header bit indicates that the slice is the first slice of a picture, or mention this as part of the introduction to HEVC.

Because the new text is intended to help implementers figure out when to set the 'M' bit, it should be added just after the existing 'M' bit text.  (But why not just use the paragraph that I suggested?)

> The addition is not really necessary because the first slice header bit is more expected to be used by video decoders for detection of the start of a new picture without relying on timing (because they might not be available to the decoder etc), while for the receivers at RTP level, they can always use the M bit and/or the RTP timestamp.

Yes, but that's irrelevant here, because we're talking about how to clarify the text for implementers of RTP *senders*, not RTP receivers.  (If the current proposed RTP payload format specification were to be used only by the implementers of H.265/RTP receivers, then I would have no problem with it.  But that's not the case.)

> it is so easy to follow the semantics, and I don’t see a reason why implementers would not follow what is being specified.

The reason is (as I've explained before) that for many RTP sender implementers who aren't very familiar with the H.265 codec specification, it will not be immediately obvious whether a NAL unit ends an access unit.  That's why I'm proposing adding a (very small) bit of extra text to clarify this.

I think the core of the disagreement here is that there are two different views on what a RTP payload format specification should be:

One view is that a RTP payload format specification should be the shortest, most concise possible document that describes how to send/receive RTP packets for a particular codec, for someone how is already very familiar with the codec specification.  From the perspective of a codec designer, this point of view makes perfect sense: The codec specification is the 'core document'; the RTP payload format specification is logically just an 'appendix'.  Therefore, from this point of view, there seems little sense in adding extra, redundant text to the RTP payload format document, because it's information that is already available in the codec specification.

However, there are two problems with this point of view.  The first problem is that it makes the specification 'fragile'.  Someone who happens to misread the codec specification is more likely to implement the RTP payload format incorrectly.

The second problem with this point of view is a practical one.  Many (if not most) people who implement RTP payload formats are not codec experts.  They just want to know how to transmit data that they've received from an encoder, or (on the receiving end) want to know how to feed data that they've received from a RTP stream into a decoder.  It's not reasonable to expect them to have intimate knowledge of the codec specification (especially since they may want to implement the RTP payload formats for several codecs - not just one).  Nor will they always have time to read through the codec specification in detail to find information that could just as easily have been made available in the RTP payload format specification.

An alternative view of what a RTP payload format should be (and this is the view that is, I think, is shared by most members of the AVT(CORE) working group) is that a RTP payload format specification should have sufficient detail to allow someone to implement the payload format (sending and/or receiving), even if they have only a limited knowledge of the codec specification.  Even if this means adding text to the RTP payload format specification that might - from the point of view of the codec designer - seem somewhat redundant.

I hope this helps you understand why adding just a small bit of redundant text (such as the paragraph I suggested) to the RTP payload format specification (after the existing 'M' bit text) will help implementers, and makes it more likely that they will implement the RTP payload format correctly.

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/