Re: [AVTCORE] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-09

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Mon, 10 June 2013 13:11 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: "Brandenburg, R. (Ray) van" <ray.vanbrandenburg@tno.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:10:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.46]
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-avtcore-idms.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-avtcore-idms.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-09

Hi Ray,

Thanks again for considering my comments.

See in-line.

Regards,

Dan

[[DR]] close, with slight edits, I would make it:

'This document updates the assignment of value 12 from the RTCP XR
Block Type for reporting IDMS information as per [TS183063] to the
RTCP XR IDMS Report Block defined in this document'

> > This change is however partial as described previously, as the content
> > of the fields and behavior for SPST = 2-4 remain under ETSI control.
> > Moreover, it is not clear who has further control for other new
> > values, as SPST = 5-15 show as 'reserved for future use in both
> > documents'. The IANA section does not define or refer an IANA registry
> > and the policy for adding and approving new values for SPST.
> >
> > This solution is not clean. Only one organization should have control
> > upon the definition of one single RTCP XR block type. Either the IETF
> > should make the overleaping parts of the  document Informational and
> > reflect the content of the ETSI document, or should take control over
> > the whole block.
> >
> > [Ray: See my earlier comments: IETF will have full control, ETSI will
> > just be extending it.]
> >
> [[DR]] a registry is better, it also avoids the need to make changes to
> this document if new extensions are being defined by ETSI or other
> organizations.
>
> [Ray] See my earlier comment: if the WG consensus is that we need a
> registry, I can include one.
>
> > 3. The relation with the ETSI specification TS 183 063 should have
> > been described clearly from the beginning of the document.
> >
> > [Ray: See my earlier comment. Since the IETF draft will be that
> > normative spec that ETSI will be referencing, I believe this
> > relationship should be described in ETSI, not in IETF].
> >
> [[DR]] This is where we disagree. If there was no history of control, no
> previous ETSI specification you would be right, but this is not the
> case.
>
> [Ray] Can we agree to a short informational section that describes the
> history of IDMS in ETSI and IETF?

[[DR]] that's all I am asking

> > 4. In Section 7:
> >
> >    When
> >    reporting on an RTP packet which is one of several consecutive RTP
> >    packets having equal timestamps, an SC SHOULD report on the RTP
> >    packet it received with the lowest sequence number.
> >
> > Why a SHOULD here and not a MUST? If there are any cases of exception
> > they need to be detailed.
> >
> > [Ray: Implementations might be optimized for specific scenarios by
> > reporting on specific packets as indicated by e.g. an out-of-band
> > signal]
> >
> [[DR]] It would be good to clarify this in the text.
>
> [Ray] OK
>

> > 7. In Section 8:
> >
> >    The timestamp is formatted based on the NTP
> >    timestamp format as specified in [RFC5905].  If this field is
> empty,
> >    then it SHALL be set to 0.  This field MAY be left empty if none or
> >    only one of the receivers reported on presentation timestamps.
> >
> > Why a MAY here? Especially for the case when none of the receivers
> > reported, what content can be set there but 0 ?
> >
> > [Ray: I believe it should be up to the implementation to decide how it
> > wants to handle the case of there being only one receiver who reported
> > on presentation timestamps].
> >
> [[DR]] OK, so the cases when none of the receivers reported and one
> receiver only reported should be dealt with differently. This needs to
> be clarified.
>
> [Ray] What exactly is the problem with the MAY here? IMO it doesn't
> create any interop issues: whatever is the reason for setting the value
> to 0, to the client the end result is the same: ignore it.

[[DR]] In the case when none of the receivers reported we want to avoid leaving some garbage in this field which could be interpreted differently - don't we?