Re: [AVTCORE] Possible Additional functionalities fordraft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms

Fernando Boronat Seguí <fboronat@dcom.upv.es> Fri, 21 October 2011 10:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:43:05 +0200
From: Fernando Boronat Seguí <fboronat@dcom.upv.es>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Possible Additional functionalities fordraft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms

Qin,

I understand that the Packet Receipt Times Report Block defined in the
section 4.3 of RFC3611 is to provide feedback of the reception time of
data RTP packets. It could be used in the solution proposed by Kevin
(sending null data packets).

Our aim is to calculate the one-way delay with the lower overhead
possible. If we adopt the Kevin's proposal we understand that sending
RTP packets at the same data rate than during the session will suppose
an unnecessary extra load prior the starting of the session that can be
avoided with our solution. Notice that prior the session start is when
all the users join the session with the corresponding control packets
implosion.

We only need a reference of the maximum one-way delay between source and
SCs, not the exact value, as the initial playout instant will be larger
than that value (allowing receivers to have received enough media units
to guarantee a continuous playout avoiding underflow/overflow
situations). The calculation of this is out of the scope of the I-D.

If you consider appropriate our proposal using the packets already
defined in the I-D, but with 64 bits NTP timestamps, we can try to
define it more precisely and timely  to include it in the next ID version.

Regards

--
Saludos/Regards
Dr. Fernando Boronat Seguí