Re: [babel] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-12: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Thu, 05 December 2019 11:50 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 12:50:37 +0100
Cc: draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis@ietf.org, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>, babel-chairs <babel-chairs@ietf.org>, Babel at IETF <babel@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>, Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@irif.fr>
Subject: Re: [babel] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-12: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Juliusz, hi all,

I took another look at the updated RFC and I have to say I’m still concerned about the default values (which is also an issue that was also raised by Alvaro) and the appendix B.

You know added another case:

"The following values are recommended in a network where reconvergence
   within 2 seconds after a mobility event is desired:

      Multicast Hello Interval: 0.5 seconds.

      Unicast Hello Interval: infinite (no Unicast Hellos are sent).

      Link cost, IHU Interval, Update Interval, IHU Hold Time, and Route
      Expiry Time: computed as in the first case above.

      Request Timeout: initially 0.5 seconds, doubled every time a
      request is resent, up to a maximum of three times.

      Urgent timeout: 0.2 seconds.

      Source GC time: 3 minutes.”

These value are much lower than in the first case and can easily leads to signification congestion, however, you don’t say anything appropriate about when those value might be used or should be avoided. What appendix B does is simply given some sample calculation about what the expected reconvergence time is based on the selected values but it does not give any guidance about which network conditions would bear which setup, nor does it talk about negative implication of selecting lower values.

I still think that it is important to provide default values as part of the normative specification. For me finding such default value (maybe with more discussions about in which network scenarios these vales makes sense and when it might be useful to consider different values) was part of the experiment with babel and if you are not able to address these questions, babel is not ready for PS.

Alternatively you can check the values in RFC8085 again and see if these are acceptable values for most scenarios. Values in that RFC are lightly lower than the first example (e.g. 3 secs interval and 1 sec timeout) but quite a bit larger than the new example you introduced (without further guidance on usage of the values).

Especially in section 3.8.2.1. regarding the Request Timeout it is not sufficient to only point to the appendix. Please also note that there are actually two values here that need suitable default values, the time-out itself and the number of retries.

Thanks!
Mirja