Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardised protocols//re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 26 November 2009 07:53 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 02:52:54 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: behave@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardised protocols//re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

I am having trouble figuring out what this discussion is about.
We standardize protocols to enable interoperation.
Unless there is something special that requires that distinct devices
come from the same vendor, we assume that they may come from different
vendors, and that is why there is value in our work.

Whether a given operator chooses to use multiple vendors, or chooses to
use one vendor, is a tradeoff made by that (enterprise, edge, or core)
operator.  One could have (and folks have) exactly the same debate about
routing protocols.

Yours,
Joel

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
> Xu Xiaohu escribió:

>>> acceptable. Hence I believe the standardization of NAT redundancy is