Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardised protocols //re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net> Wed, 25 November 2009 18:01 UTC

From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com>, "mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com>, 'Brian E Carpenter' <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "behave@ietf.org" <behave@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:57:24 -0500
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.0.0.090609
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardised protocols //re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

If the boxes are from different vendors or even different platforms from the
same vendor, how to deal with issues such as different memory footprint for
NAT state, different NAT implementations, different processor speeds, etc?

Most NAT redundancy schemes are 1+1 because the implementation specific
issues above preclude a heterogeneous solution.

Thanks,

Reinaldo

On 11/25/09 2:05 AM, "Xu Xiaohu" <xuxh@huawei.com> wrote:

> [...]

For a
> small enterprise network, maybe it's acceptable to deploy two or more NAT
> boxes purchased from the same vendor for redundancy. However, for a large ISP
> network or large enterprise network, it is not reliable enough. For example,
> an abnormal packet will cause the router OS to crash, it is not absolutely
> acceptable. Hence I believe the standardization of NAT redundancy is
> necessary.

Xiaohu