Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardisedprotocols//re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Wed, 02 December 2009 07:16 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:16:10 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "behave@ietf.org" <behave@ietf.org>, Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardisedprotocols//re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

-----Message d'origine-----
De : behave-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:behave-bounces@ietf.org] De la part de Joel M. Halpern
Envoyé : mercredi 2 décembre 2009 05:46
À : Cameron Byrne
Cc : behave@ietf.org; Xu Xiaohu; Dan Wing

I believe we have agreed that we want to support the configuration of
multiple stateful NAT64s in a cluster sharing state (using the same
prefix, backing each other up / sharing load / ... ).

While it is true that one can deploy that with solutions from a single
vendor, it seems natural and consistent with the rest of what we do here
that we want to allow folks to build such a cluster using devices from
different vendors.  Arguing about why an operator might or might not do
that is a waste of time.  Some will want multiple vendors.  Some will
want a single vendor.  Some will want the ability to migrate to a new
vendor.

For the IETF therefore, the protocol for the state sharing seems a
sensible thing to standardize.

Med: I fully agree.

Yours,
Joel