Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardisedprotocols//re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com> Tue, 01 December 2009 18:40 UTC

From: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
To: 'Simon Perreault' <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>, behave@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:39:57 -0800
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] proprietary implementation v.s standardisedprotocols//re: draft-xu-behave-nat-state-sync-00

My point is that it shouldn't make things worse.  If the functioning
NAT64's prefix changes and the old prefix no longer works, that makes
things worse -- it effectively causes IPv6 addresses to change.  That
breaks not just applications that are sensitive to IP address changes,
but also existing TCP sessions.  SCTP handles IP address changes
better, but there is scant deployment of SCTP yet (due to many
reasons).

> These applications would fail in many other cases that don't
> involve NAT64.

But IPv4 addresses on today's Internet don't change much, especially
while connections are up.  When they do, yes, applications break.
That's part of the whole Location/Identifier split problem.

-d