Re: [bess] A question regarding draft-wang-bess-evepn-control-word

"Wanghaibo (Rainsword)" <rainsword.wang@huawei.com> Tue, 23 October 2018 11:34 UTC

From: "Wanghaibo (Rainsword)" <rainsword.wang@huawei.com>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
CC: "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>, "draft-wang-bess-evpn-control-word.authors@ietf.org" <draft-wang-bess-evpn-control-word.authors@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 11:34:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.156.185]
Subject: Re: [bess] A question regarding draft-wang-bess-evepn-control-word

Hi Alexander,

The solution here is to carry the next hop capability attribute when the route is advertised. The capability carried here is the control word capability.
The specific format of the next hop capability can be referred to the draft.: <draft-ietf-idr-next-hop-capability>
                     +------------------------------+
                     | Capability Code (2 octets)   |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | Capability Length (2 octets) |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | Capability Value (variable)  |
                     ~                              ~
                     +------------------------------+
For the control word capability , it may encode as :
                     +------------------------------+
                     | CW Capabality Type (TBD)     |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | CW Length (0 or 3)           |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | CWI Label (may not exist)    |
                     +------------------------------+
CWI (Control word indication)

And the forwarding Packet example.
                     +------------------------------+
                     | Tunnel Label                 |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | EVI Label                    |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | CW Indicate Label            |
                     +------------------------------+
                     | Control word                 |

The difference between the two methods is that which value should be use for the control word capability indicates label.

Method 1, use reserved label, which should be assigned by IANA, (such as the entropy label, which is the value of 7)
If we use this method, then the control word capability attribute’s CW length use 0 is enough.
And the forwarding packet use the IANA specified value as the CWI (Control word indication) Label .(Perhaps 8 or others)

Method2, use normal value, which is assigned by router.
If we use this method, then the router must assign a label used for the CWI. Perhaps label. And the control word capability attribute’s CW length must be 3 and must contain the value in the update message.
The forwarding packet must use that value as the CWI label.

Regards,
Haibo