Re: [bess] WG Last Call and IPR Poll fordraft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-02

xiao.min2@zte.com.cn Sat, 20 June 2020 09:12 UTC

Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 17:12:46 +0800
From: xiao.min2@zte.com.cn
To: matthew.bocci@nokia.com
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk@ietf.org, bess@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bess] WG Last Call and IPR Poll fordraft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-02

Hi Matthew, Stephane and Authors,

After reading through this draft, I think it's very useful and well-written, so I support its publication.

I also have several specific comments as follows.

In section 2.2, it says

"

The EVPN PE SHOULD support MEP
 functions in the applicable service OAM protocol. This includes both
 Up and Down MEP functions."

In my opinion it's reasonable to include Down MEP functions, which means sending OAM messages between EVPN PE and CE, but UP MEP functions should be excluded, because that means sending OAM messages between EVPN PEs, which I think doesn't belong to EVPN Service OAM. My understanding is that for any kind of EVPN Service OAM it must include CE, if an OAM mechanism runs between EVPN PEs, then this OAM mechanism belongs to EVPN Network OAM or EVPN Transport OAM.

In section 2.2, it says

"

The EVPN PE SHOULD advertise any MEP/MIP local to the PE as a MAC/IP
 Advertisement route. Since these are not subject to mobility, they
 SHOULD be advertised with the static (sticky) bit set (see Section
 15.2 of [RFC7432])."

In my opinion "MEP/MIP" should be substituted by "MIP", because as I said above, the MEP at the EVPN PE should be a Down MEP, it's peer MEP is at locally attached CE, there is no need to advertise it to remote PEs.

In section 3.1.2.2, it says

"EVPN Service OAM mechanisms only have visibility to the PEs but not

   the MPLS/IP P nodes. As such, they can be used to deduce whether the

   fault is in the customer's own network, the local CE-PE segment or

   remote CE-PE segment(s). EVPN Network and Transport OAM mechanisms

   can be used for fault isolation between the PEs and P nodes."

Considering in section 2.3 the first sentence reads "EVPN Network OAM is visible to the PE nodes only", I suggest to rephrase this paragraph possibly as below:

"EVPN Service OAM and EVPN Network OAM mechanisms only have visibility to the PEs but not

   the MPLS/IP P nodes. As such, they can be used to deduce whether the

   fault is in the customer's own network, the local CE-PE segment, the PE-PE segment or

   the remote CE-PE segment(s). EVPN Transport OAM mechanisms

   can be used for fault isolation between the PEs and P nodes."

Section 3.1.2.1, there is a typo, s/to rest a representative path between PEs/to test a representative path between PEs.

Best Regards,

Xiao Min

原始邮件