Re: [bess] [GROW] IETF LC for IDR-ish document <draft-ietf-grow-bgp-reject-05.txt> (Default EBGP Route Propagation Behavior Without Policies) to Proposed Standard

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Sun, 07 May 2017 00:47 UTC

To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>, draft-ietf-grow-bgp-reject.all@ietf.org
Cc: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>, "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 17:47:23 -0700
Subject: Re: [bess] [GROW] IETF LC for IDR-ish document <draft-ietf-grow-bgp-reject-05.txt> (Default EBGP Route Propagation Behavior Without Policies) to Proposed Standard

On 5/6/17 10:53 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
> [ + authors ]
>
> On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> wrote:
>> Hi Warren,
>>
>>> This is clearly not unanimous/ not everyone is happy, but (in my view)
>>> there is *rough* consensus for this to progress.
>>

>> The group of users of BGP which this update impacts the most are members
>> of BESS WG (cc-ed) and not IDR WG due to the fact that this proposal applies
>> to all AFI/SAFIs.

I think this statement elides that the largest impact here is on
operators, which might be participants of either working group but are
by in large not at the ietf.

As an operator the ability to make recommendations based on practice
that has proven to be problematic is ought to be something others in the
ietf would be interested in. e.g. default accept policies have been
shooting operators in the foot with v4 and v6 unicast AFI's since
literally the dawn of time.