[bess] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-07: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Thu, 10 January 2019 06:31 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework@ietf.org, Stephane Litkowski <stephane.litkowski@orange.com>, bess-chairs@ietf.org, stephane.litkowski@orange.com, bess@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 22:31:29 -0800
Subject: [bess] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-07: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework/

COMMENT:

I have one minor comment that the authors may wish to consider.

§1.2.1:

>  It is well-known that for good
>  hash distribution using the modulus operation, the modulus N should
>  be a prime-number not too close to a power of 2 [CLRS2009].

I suppose this refers to the explanation in [CLRS2009] §11.3.1. The
description there is pretty hand-wavy and not completely accurate except under
certain (admittedly common) conditions -- in which this case is not included.
You may wish to consider instead citing "The Art of Computer Programming (Vol.
3)" by Knuth, as it captures a lot more of the nuance behind why this rule of
thumb is frequently true, and covers the general case. There is probably a set
of considerations to take into account for Ethernet Tags with an even
distribution, but only because you have a relatively small set of potential
inputs -- not for any of the reasons cited in [CLRS2009]. Quoting Knuth:

  In general, we want to avoid values of M that divide r^k+a or r^k−a, where k
  and a are small numbers and r is the radix of the alphabetic character set
  (usually r=64, 256 or 100), since a remainder modulo such a value of M tends
  to be largely a simple superposition of key digits. Such considerations
  suggest that we choose M to be a prime number such that r^k!=a(modulo)M or
  r^k!=−a(modulo)M for small k & a.

I see that Benjamin has made a related comment. I share his objection to
the way point #2 is phrased, and think it needs to be reworded to properly
capture the subtleties implied by the preceding passage.