Re: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-expl-track-07.txt

<stephane.litkowski@orange.com> Thu, 22 February 2018 08:10 UTC

From: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
To: Eric C Rosen <erosen@juniper.net>, "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 08:10:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.6]
Subject: Re: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-expl-track-07.txt

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for the update.
Couple of more comments:

Section 2:
I still have some concern about these two sentences:
1)"This flag SHOULD NOT be set
   unless it is known that all the PEs that are to receive the route
   carrying the PTA support the flag."
2)"By setting LIR as well as
   LIR-pF, one forces a response to be sent by an egress node that does
   not support LIR-pF."

[SLI] As per 1), the situation described in 2) should not happen
Do we agree that this should not happen ?
I think we can make the text more clear about the implications of setting the LIR-pf in a partial deployment scenario.
We can add a text like after 1):
"Setting the LIR-pF in a network where only a subset of PEs supports it prevents the ingress PE to have a complete view of the receiving PEs."

We may also modify 2) as follows:
OLD
By setting LIR as well as
   LIR-pF, one forces a response to be sent by an egress node that does
   not support LIR-pF.  It is possible to tell from that response that
   the egress node does not support LIR-pF.  This may be an aid to
   troubleshooting.
NEW
By setting LIR as well as
   LIR-pF, one forces a response to be sent by an egress node that does
   not support LIR-pF.  It is possible to tell from that response that
   the egress node does not support LIR-pF.  As the support of LIR-pF is recommended on all PEs, this situation should not happen.
  However, in case of deployment error, this may be an aid to troubleshooting.

Section 5.2:
"The encoding of these Leaf A-D routes is similar to the encoding of
   the Leaf A-D routes described in section 6.2.2 of [RFC7524], which
   were designed for the support of "global table multicast".  However,
   that document sets the RD to either 0 or -1; following the procedures
   of this document, the RD will never be 0 or -1.  Therefore Leaf A-D
   routes constructed according to the procedures of this section can
   always be distinguished from the Leaf A-D routes constructed
   according to the procedures of section 6.2.2 of [RFC7524].  Also,
   Leaf A-D routes constructed according to the procedures of this
   section are VPN-specific routes, and will always carry an IP-address-
   specific Route Target, as specified in [RFC6514]."

[SLI] I'm wondering if this text is still required as we do not modify the RD compared to RFC6514.

Brgds,