Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb-26.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2025 11:32:43 -0700
List-Id: BGP-Enabled ServiceS working group discussion list <bess.ietf.org>

Internet-Draft draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb-26.txt is now available. It is
a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS (BESS) WG of the IETF.

   Title:   Weighted Multi-Path Procedures for EVPN Multi-Homing
   Authors: Neeraj Malhotra
            Ali Sajassi
            Jorge Rabadan
            John Drake
            Avinash Lingala
            Samir Thoria
   Name:    draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb-26.txt
   Pages:   25
   Dates:   2025-07-05

Abstract:

   EVPN enables all-active multi-homing for a CE (Customer Equipment)
   device connected to two or more PE (Provider Equipment) devices via a
   LAG (Link Aggregation), such that bridged and routed traffic from
   remote PEs to hosts attached to the Ethernet Segment can be equally
   load balanced (it uses Equal Cost Multi Path) across the multi-homing
   PEs.  EVPN also enables multi-homing for IP subnets advertised in IP
   Prefix routes, so that routed traffic from remote PEs to those IP
   subnets can be load balanced.  This document defines extensions to
   EVPN procedures to optimally handle unequal access bandwidth
   distribution across a set of multi-homing PEs in order to:

   *  provide greater flexibility, with respect to adding or removing
      individual multi-homed PE-CE links.

   *  handle multi-homed PE-CE link failures that can result in unequal
      PE-CE access bandwidth across a set of multi-homing PEs.

   In order to achieve the above, it specifies signaling extensions and
   procedures to:

   *  Loadbalance bridged and routed traffic across egress PEs in
      proportion to PE-CE link bandwidth or a generalized weight
      distribution.

   *  Achieve BUM (Broadcast, UnknownUnicast, Multicast) DF (Designated
      Forwarder) election distribution for a given ES (Ethernet Segment)
      across the multi-homing PE set in proportion to PE-CE link
      bandwidth.  Section 6 of this document further updates RFC 8584,
      draft-ietf-bess-evpn-per-mcast-flow-df-election and draft-ietf-
      bess-evpn-pref-df in order for the DF election extension defined
      in this document to work across different DF election algorithms.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb/

There is also an HTMLized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb-26

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb-26

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts