Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-18.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2026 08:18:27 -0700
List-Id: BGP-Enabled ServiceS working group discussion list <bess.ietf.org>

Internet-Draft draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-18.txt is now
available. It is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS (BESS) WG of the
IETF.

   Title:   Controller-based BGP Multicast Signaling
   Authors: Zhaohui Zhang
            Robert Raszuk
            Dante Pacella
            Arkadiy Gulko
   Name:    draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-18.txt
   Pages:   34
   Dates:   2026-07-06

Abstract:

   This document specifies a way that one or more centralized
   controllers can use BGP to set up multicast distribution trees
   (identified by either IP source/destination address pair, or mLDP
   FEC) in a network.  Since the controllers calculate the trees, they
   can use sophisticated algorithms and constraints to achieve traffic
   engineering.  The controllers directly signal dynamic replication
   state to tree nodes, leading to very simple multicast control plane
   on the tree nodes, as if they were using static routes.  This can be
   used for both underlay and overlay multicast trees, including
   replacing BGP-MVPN signaling.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller/

There is also an HTMLized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-18

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-18

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts