Re: [bess] bess: draft-zzhang-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 24 November 2017 15:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 16:21:49 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net>
Cc: Lenny Giuliano <lenny@juniper.net>, MBONED WG <mboned@ietf.org>, Toerless Eckert <tte+ietf@cs.fau.de>, "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [bess] bess: draft-zzhang-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 02:26:39PM +0000, Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang wrote:
> > a) I was asking Jeffrey in the WG meeting if he saw any difference
> >    between MSDP and 4610 wrt. to the applicability of your draft, and
> >    he also said no (as i think too), thats where this originated.
>
> On the spot I did make a mistake that I thought with 4610 the RPs would propagate registers (received from a C-RP) to another :-) Lenny caught that.

Ok. But the fact that it does not just means tht 4610 just acts like
an MSDP mesh group, and your draft is equally applicable to MSDP mesh
groups and therefore equally to 4610 (IMHO).

In fact, as soon as you have a setup that is not equivalent to
a mesh group, considerations for MSDP become more difficult.

[...]

> >    it would be great to give
> >    examples of the so tht one can check if/how the proposed spec in your
> >    draft would work in the fce of those cases existing MSDP RPF rules
> >    (which can of course be quite complex).
>
> Yes more text would help. The idea is that MVPN SA messages would just be treated as MSDP SAs from the PE that originated the SAs. Those MSDP SAs received from true MSDP peers and those treated as MSDP SAs would follow the existing MSDP rules.

Right. But the problem is when you have non-PE RPs running MSDP
without mesh group, so the MSDP connectivity is set up with the assumption
that some of the RPF rules apply to avid looping MSDP SAs. Now you introduce
an MVPN core represented in that MSDP SA RPF loop prevention, and
you need to look how that will work.

I have not tried to imagine any such complex non-mesh-group seteup
because i have not see this in the real world. If you have, then it would
be great to explain that example in the draft. But if you have any
such example from the real world, i think we have a more fundamental
problem:

If there are really future important non-mesh group MSDP + MVPN examples,
that can not be converted better to mesh groups, then we have the
fundamental problem that we have no solution (yet) how to solve
such setup requirements with IPv6. Because we don't have MSDP there.
And we established it can't be converted to mesh-group. Aka: can't
be replaced with 6410.

So, i would suggest the draft distinguishes between mesh-group
and non-mesh-group MSDP setups. For the mesh-group setups, it should
be defined to work equally for MSDP and 6410. For the non-mesh group
setup we shuold vet whether that case is declared to be "non-relevant/
non-supported" because we have no evidence of need in real-world... OR
we have to solve another IPv6 issue.

Cheer
    Toerless