Re: [bess] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com> Tue, 12 April 2016 19:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:29:18 +0200
From: Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>
To: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, "joelja@bogus.com" <joelja@bogus.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet@ietf.org, 'Eric C Rosen' <erosen@juniper.net>, aretana@cisco.com, "'John G. Scudder'" <jgs@juniper.net>, bess-chairs@ietf.org, bess@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bess] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Dear all,

we took the opportunity of this IETF meeting to discuss with Sue, Joel
and Benoit, and with Eric.

Sue has had two requests:
1/ to add some text clarifying the encoding and processing of the
Extended Communities this document is defining.
Eric had already integrated this text in the document (v06) and more
specifically in Sections 4.4.1, 4.4.2 (for the Extranet Source Extended
Community) and 4.5 (for the Extranet Separation Extended Community). The
text on RR fitted more naturally in 4.4.2 than in 4.4.1, thus the split.

We have reviewed that with Sue and my understanding of our discussion is
that this is acceptable.

2/ to add some text covering risks of mis-configurations
Eric has added the paragraph quite soon in the document (the Overview
section), such that the reader is aware. Following Thomas' suggestion to
enhance that text with other cases of incorrect configurations, Eric has
also added some text to the Security Considerations section.
Since the document describes a tool-set, rather than trying to describe
all the possible usages of these tools, the preferred approach was to
give a form of warning on risks of misconf.

Our understanding is that the addition of this paragraph would meet
Sue's expectations.

Version 07, which incorporates the above, is available.

Sue, please review the changes and let us know if our understanding is
correct or not, and thus if you consider your points addressed.

Thank you all

Best regards,
Martin & Thomas