Re: [bess] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Tue, 22 December 2015 17:52 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Eric C Rosen' <erosen@juniper.net>, 'Benoit Claise' <bclaise@cisco.com>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:51:54 -0500
Cc: draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet@ietf.org, "'John G. Scudder'" <jgs@juniper.net>, aretana@cisco.com, bess-chairs@ietf.org, martin.vigoureux@alcatel-lucent.com, bess@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bess] Benoit Claise's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-extranet-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Eric:

Thank you for revisions in version -05 of your document.  Unfortunately it does not resolve either of the two points I raised.

1)      On the BGP Extended Communities, I feel your specification is unclear and warrants change on the DISCUSS Criteria due to interoperability issues.   I’ve given you 2 small sections to add to your document at the beginning of section 4.4. to resolve this DISCUSS point.  You need to just fill in one part below on RR restrictions for Extranet Separation Extended community.

2) On the deployment section:  I given text and examples – but I think you still misunderstand what I am looking for.

Since you are an author of academic papers,  consider I am looking for an operator-based “abstract” that focuses the reader on the key points.  I am sure you can create one for this document, but I not clear why you object to it the concept.

The “security consideration ” in section 10 in  the text use “security consideration” as a euphemism for the traffic being sent to the wrong place.  This is deployment and security issue – not just a security consideration.   The third paragraph of your text in section 10 starting with “In general, different VPNs are allowed to have overlapping IP address” needs to clearly state what you stated to me in this last email.  (see the text below).

To limit the email back-forth, will you please let me know that you have read my suggested text insertions on both these topics.  I will email Benoit/Joel offline regarding #2 deployment to see if he believes it is not a DISCUSS criteria.

Cheerily,

Sue

==============

BGP Communities text to resolve comment:

===================

4.4.1 Extranet Source Extended Community

   To facilitate this, we define a new Transitive Opaque Extended  Community, the "Extranet Source" Extended Community.

   (high-type field is 0x43, sub-type: TBD).  The value field of this extended community is all zeros.

Restrictions: This value field MUST be set  to zero upon origination,  MUST be ignored upon reception and MUST  be passed unchanged by intermediate routers.

  Additional Restrictions:  A Route Reflector MUST NOT add/remove the Extranet Source Extended  Community from the VPN-IP routes reflected by  the Route Reflector,  including the case where VPN-IP routes received via IBGP are reflected to EBGP peers (inter-AS option (c), see [RFC6513]   Section 10).

4.4.2 Extranet Separation Extended community

We define a new Transitive Opaque Extended Community, the "Extranet  Separation" Extended Community (high-type field is 0x43, sub-type: TBD).   This Extended Community is used only  when extranet separation is being used.

   Restrictions:  Its value field MUST be set to zero upon origination, MUST be ignored upon reception, and MUST be

   passed unchanged by intermediate routers.

  Restrictions on Adding/deleting this community:  ??  (Eric – please add something here).

Comments that could be put in a Security section:

Whenever a VPN is provisioned, there is a risk that provisioning errors will result in an unintended cross-connection of VPNs, which would create a security problem for the customers.  Extranet can be particularly tricky, as it intentionally cross-connects VPNs, but in a manner that is intended to be strictly limited by policy.  If one is connecting two VPNs that have overlapping address spaces, one has to be sure that the inter-VPN traffic isn't to/from the part of the address space that is in the overlap.  The draft discusses a lot of the corner cases, and a lot of the scenarios in which things can go wrong.