Re: [bess] EVPN Multihoming and Symmetric IRB

<wang.yubao2@zte.com.cn> Sat, 27 April 2019 14:49 UTC

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 22:48:48 +0800
From: wang.yubao2@zte.com.cn
To: muthu.arul@gmail.com
Cc: bess@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bess] EVPN Multihoming and Symmetric IRB

Hi Muthu,

Please see in line with the label "[Bob]".

Regards,

Bob

原始邮件

发件人:MuthuArulMozhiPerumal <muthu.arul@gmail.com>
收件人:王玉保10045807;
抄送人:bess@ietf.org <bess@ietf.org>;
日 期 :2019年04月25日 14:08
主 题 :Re: [bess] EVPN Multihoming and Symmetric IRB

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response. Please see inline.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 6:28 AM <wang.yubao2@zte.com.cn> wrote:

Hi Muthu and everyone else,

The IP Aliasing in Symmetric IRB is described in draft-sajassi-bess-evpn-ip-aliasing-00 .

It works well for each local host<IP,MAC> learned on the IRB interface.

Glad to know that my understand that fast convergence, aliasing and backup path as described in RFC 7432 is applicable only for host MAC addresses and not for their IP addresses is correct :) I think it is important to capture this implication for symmetric IRB in draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding and probably add a reference to draft-sajassi-bess-evpn-ip-aliasing to indicate how those functionalities can be realized in the symmetric IRB case.

On a different note, when IP aliasing is used, I think it slightly modifies the definition of symmetric IRB because the egress PE is no longer doing a lookup in the IP-VRF, rather forwarding the packet on the ES after doing a LFIB lookup. This should perhaps be captured in draft-sajassi-bess-evpn-ip-aliasing.

[Bob]: I agree with you on the slight conceptual inconsistency with the symmetric IRB concept.

Because the alias label is a Layer 2 Label not a Layer 3 Label, and I think there is another issue.

The issue is that the encapsulation of L2 Label is different from the encapsulation of L3 Label on the ethernet header's appearance in MPLS dataplane.

In MPLS dataplane, Data Packets are typicall encapsulated without an inner ethernet header in Symmetric IRB procedures because of the nature of its L3 Label.

But now in ip aliasing it is replaced with an L2 Label and an encapsulation with an inner ethernet header.

I think it will be an modification in the sender PE too.

Note that now the destination MAC will be a RMAC (also known as "Router's MAC") instead of a host mac.

I don't know exactly how to forward an ethernet packet in a MAC-VRF given that its D-MAC is a RMAC.

Can we assume that the RMAC is the same as the IRB interface's own MAC?

If we can't, I don't know how to forward it.

If we can, it can be forwared according to EVPN IRB procedures again but it is not so symmetric.

And I think the RMAC is not used in MPLS symmetric IRB according to current documents, this is another modification IMHO.

I think when the IRB interface itself is configured with an anycast Gateway IP-address for its corresponding subnet,

the IP address of the IRB interface itself doesn't have an explicit ESI to be announced together with its own MAC/IP address in current documents,

Why do we need a non-zero ES for the anycast gateway IP address? My understanding is that you include the gateway IP address in the MAC/IP advertisement route for MAC address aliasing so that the receiver can check if the received IP address matches with the locally configured anycast gateway IP address. Does it serve any other purpose?

[Bob]: Let's take the following figure for an example:

   /---- PE1----\

L2PE          PE3----CE2

   \---- PE2----/

PE1/PE2 is the PEs for EVPN IRB, and PE3 is just an L3 PE without IRB.

When the IRB iterface's own MAC/IP address is anycast address,

It is necessary for the L2PE to load-balance traffic to PE1/PE2 via an ESI of these IRB interfaces, rather than do MAC mobile between PE1 and PE2.-

I think it is necessary for PE3 too. Although PE3 may have other options to do the load-balancing.

Regards,
Muthu

Can we use an vESI for IRB interface itself or its corresponding MAC-VRF (which is similar ot the I-ESI concept)?

This issue exists in both symmetric IRB and asymmetric IRB.

Thanks

Bob

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 09:57:51 +0530