Re: [bess] MIBDoc review of draft-ietf-bess-l2l3-vpn-mcast-mib-02.txt

Glenn Mansfield Keeni <glenn@cysols.com> Sun, 08 May 2016 15:01 UTC

To: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "EXT - thomas.morin@orange.com" <thomas.morin@orange.com>
From: Glenn Mansfield Keeni <glenn@cysols.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 00:01:30 +0900
Cc: mib-doctors@ietf.org, Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>, Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@nokia.com>, "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>, "ops-ads@ietf.org" <ops-ads@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [bess] MIBDoc review of draft-ietf-bess-l2l3-vpn-mcast-mib-02.txt

Jeffrey,
 > Thanks for your comments. I've addressed most of your comments
 > in the new revision:
Thanks for your cooperation. I will need at least one more revision
with the following comments/recommendations addressed before I will
be able to complete the detailed review. In the following the numbers
refer to the issue numbers in the initial review. The issues that are
addressed and closed are not listed. For brevity, the issue
descriptions have been trimmed. In case of doubts please look at the
response mail appended below.
Hope this helps.

Glenn

Comments:

1.1
 >  I had thought this would be standard/obvious for all MIB objects -
We will comeback to this time and again, whereever possible make
matters explicit and clear. That will help.
 >  Is it enough to say something similar? For example:
 >          In particular, it describes common managed objects used
 >          to configure and/or monitor both L2 and L3 VPN Multicast.
That is better.

2.2
 >  Having said that, I'll explain PMSI a bit further.
PMSI explanation is good.
Please use the same style/format for I-PMSI and S-PMSI.

2.3
 >  No difference. I was using "Layer 3" or "L3" but it was pointed out
 > that the layer 3 VPN is often referred to IP VPN in other RFCs and I
 > was advised to change it accordingly. Looks like I did not change all
 > the cases.
 >  On the other hand, I noticed that RFC 4382 does use "Layer 3 VPN" so
 > I'll change it back.
No problems. just make sure that the same expression/notation is used
uniformly.
3.
 >  > > 3.  Summary of MIB Module.
 >  > >     An overview of the L2L3-VPN-MCAST-MIB will be good- the
 >  > >     structure of the MIB, short descriptions of the table(s)
 >  > >     including usage of the table(s) for management and/or by
 >  > >     other MIB(s).
 >
 >  I had that, but have added one sentence about the only table.
A sentence or two about the textual convention will be good.
 >  > > 4. MIB syntax checking:
 >  > >    smilint -s -e -l 5 mibs/L2L3-VPN-MCAST-MIB
2>L2L3-VPN-MCAST-MIB.txt

 >  I used simpleweb's validation tool but looks like I did not use the
 > strictest level of validation. I've now fixed the following issues and
 > verified.
Good.
5.
 >  > >
 >  > > 5. REFERENCE clauses: Please use REFERENCE clauses liberally.
 >  > >    Wherever possible, provide references for objects used in
 >  > >    the MIB. The references will point to specific sections/
 >  > >    sub-sections of the RFCs defining the protocol for which the
 >  > >    MIB is being designed. It will greatly improve the readability
 >  > >    of the document.
 >
 >  Added.
I would recommend using the REFERENCE clause as in rfs4382 and
improve on it.
Specifically, instead of keeping the reference in the DESCRIPTION
clause move it to a separate REFERENCE clause. The addition of the
section number is an improvement. It is friendlier to the reader.
Note. Same comment for other OBJECTs too.
7.1
 >  > > 7.1 CONTACT-INFO
 >  > >     Following the conventions (including indentation style) will
 >  > >     improve the readability. (e.g. RFC4382, RFC5132).
 >  > >     Will be good if it does not overflow into the next page.
 >
 >  Fixed.
The format is OK. The Postal address etc., need not have been
deleted. Please put the complete contact information as in the
Author's Address. (RFC 2578 section 5.7 gives a usage example).
7.3
 >  I kept "experimental 99" so that I could continue to use mib tools
 > to validate; but I added notes for the editor to replace them as you
 > indicated.
Use of "experimental 99" is not recommended.
8
 >  > > 8. Specific MO and TC related comments.
 >  Are spaces allowed? I don't know so I used hyphen. For now I replace
 > with things like rsvpP2mp.
Yes. Camelcase is an allowed practice. SMI does not mind it.
8.2
 >  > > 8.2   l2L3VpnMcastPmsiTunnelAttributeFlags OBJECT-TYPE
 >  The intent is to simply return the octet value of the flags
 > field, w/o listing individual bits like "Leaf Information Required".
 > More bits could be defined in the future but the MIB would not change.
 >
 >  Is that OK?
As far as possible, the meaning of the objects must be made clear.
That will help implementors and operators- users of the MIB.

8.3
 >  > > 8.3   l2L3VpnMcastPmsiTunnelAttributeId OBJECT-TYPE
 >  Depending on the tunnel type, there could be different sizes.
 > Future tunnel types could have other sizes that not specified
 > today. I was thinking to just give a size
 > tPmsiTunnelAttributeId OBJECT-TYPE range so that it is flexible.
 > Is that ok?
I see that you have changed the size upper limit to 50.
If the size varies continuously from 0 to 50 the above description
is correct.
Please confirm, explain and cite appropriate reference. If the size
may change in the future that must be stated too.

8.4
 >  > > 8.4  l2L3VpnMcastPmsiTunnelIf OBJECT-TYPE
 >  > >         SYNTAX        RowPointer
 >  > >         MAX-ACCESS    read-only
 >  > >         STATUS        current
 >  > >         DESCRIPTION
 >  > >             "If the tunnel has a corresponding interface,
 >  > >              this is the row pointer to the ifName table."
 >  > >      o DESCRIPTION looks incorrect. Please fix it. Do you
 >  > >        want to say this object points to the corresponding
 >  > >        row in the ifTable?
 >
 >  Yes. Fixed.
Not quite.
    What is ifName table ? ifName is a columnar object in the ifXTable.
    Is l2L3VpnMcastPmsiTunnelIf a pointer to the corresponding row in the
    ifXTable table ? Please fix accordingly.

9.
 >  > > 9. The Security Considerations section does not follow
 >  > >    the Security Guidelines for IETF MIB Modules
 >  > >    http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/ops/trac/wiki/mib-security.
 >  > >    Please fix.
 >
 >  I was really hoping that it would not have to be that
 > tedious. SNMP/MIB secur
ity should be no different from the
 > CLI security - once you secure the infrastructure
 > then what's more to do?
 >
 >  I'll need more time to work on this. Let me try to address
 > the issues in the other mib first and come back to this.

Please take your time. Looking at examples will help. And let me
know where I can help.

10.1
 >  > > 10.1 Checking nits according to
 >  > > http://www.ietf.org/id-info/checklist :
 >  Should I break them into different lines or just keep them
 >  as is? Any example of expected indentation if I break the
 >  lines?
No problems at all to  break lines.
      l2L3VpnMcastGroups      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                              ::= {l2L3VpnMcastConformance 1}
Should do.

10.2
 >  > > 10.2 Checking references for intended status: Proposed Standard
 >  > >      == Missing Reference: 'RFC 7117' is mentioned on line 76,
 >  > >          but not defined
 >  > >         'described in [RFC6513, RFC6514, RFC 7117] and other
 >  I hope I understood and fixed it (removing the space in "RFC 7117").
I would recommend that you put it as [RFC6513], [RFC6514], [RFC7117]
That is simpler to parse.

 >  > > 11.  There is another WIP MVPN-MIB in
 >  > >      draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-mib-02.txt
 >  > >      MVPN-MIB has objects that refer to L2L3-VPN-MCAST-MIB.
 >  > >      Is there a good reason for not merging the 2 documents?
 >  > >      I have not seen any discussion or explanation on this.
 >  > >      I may have missed it.
 >  > >      Please clarify or, give some pointers.
 >
 >  As mentioned in the introduction:
 >
 >     this memo describes managed objects common to both VPLS
 >     Multicast [RFC7117] and MVPN [RFC6513, RFC6514].
 >     MVPN-MIB is for MVPN. There was another VPLS Multicast MIB
 >     in the work and both would reference common

 >     objects defined in this MIB.

OK. So you are saying that this MIB contains core objects that
will be used to manage implementations of various multicast VPN
protocols e.g. [RFC7117], [RFC6513],[RFC6514] ? It will help if
you spell it out at the beginning.