[bfcpbis] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis-27: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Fri, 21 December 2018 20:53 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis@ietf.org, bfcpbis-chairs@ietf.org, mary.ietf.barnes@gmail.com, bfcpbis@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:53:51 -0800
Subject: [bfcpbis] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis-27: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis-27: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis/

COMMENT:

Update: The RFC Editor is updating the mux-attribute draft to match the
mux-categories described in this draft. Therefore I have cleared my DISCUSS
position. Thanks to all involved! I have left my previous non-blocking comments
below for reference purposes.

---------------------------

The following point was part of my DISCUSS position. Since the problem seems
broader than for just this draft,  I won't hold the draft hostage to it's
solution. But I hope we can find a cleaner approach in general:

<old-discuss-point>

This document lists all the SDP attributes as having an a Mux Category of
"TBD". draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes did indeed assign a category of
"TBD" to all the attributes, save for bfcpver, which didn't exist at the time.
But the point of "TBD" was to say that draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes did
not actually analyze the attributes to determine a "real" mux category. It's
not intended as free pass to let other attribute definitions skip that analysis.

Ideally, I think that this draft should assign a "real" mux category for each
attribute in it. Failing that, it at least needs to do so for "bfcpver". I'm
guessing that should be "caution" or "special". (Perhaps unfortunately,
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes did not define a category of "nope" :-) )

Update: After a bit of discussion and a re-read of
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes, I see that, while the use of "TBD" does
not seem consistent with the definition of TBD, it does seem consistent with
the practice in mux-attributes of assigning a category of TBD to attributes
associated with non-muxable protocols. I've sent an email to the MMUSIC WG for
guidance on the intended use.

</old-discuss-point>

*** Substantive Comments ***

§4: "The fmt (format) list is not applicable to BFCP. The fmt list of ’m’
lines in the case of any proto field value related to BFCP MUST
contain a single "*" character. If the the fmt list contains any
other value it is ignored."

It seems like the last sentence should use a MUST to match the one in the
previous sentence.

*** Editorial Comments ***

§3: "Typically, a client that establishes a BFCP
stream with a conference server will act as a floor control client,
while the conference server will act as a floor control server."

The use of "typically" seems odd without a discussion of when it might not.
Perhaps a forward reference to section 7 would help?

§6: "[I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes] defines the mux categories for
the SDP attributes defined in this specification. Table 2 defines
the mux category for the ’bfcpver’ attribute:"

I assume the first sentence should say "... except for bfcpver."?

§10, 3rd paragraph: Incorrect comma use in "... SDP), in ..."
§10.1, last paragraph: "... value, in the offer, ...": The first comma is
incorrect. §10.3: First paragraph: "When the offerer receives an answer, which
contains an ’m’ line..." s/ ", which" / "that"

§16.2: It seems like [I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-mux-attributes] should be a normative
reference.