Re: [Bgp-autoconf] Review of draft-dt-idr-bgp-autoconf-considerations

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Sat, 06 March 2021 18:52 UTC

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 14:13:16 -0500
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: bgp-autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Bgp-autoconf] Review of draft-dt-idr-bgp-autoconf-considerations

Kausik,

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 07:03:56PM +0000, Majumdar, Kausik wrote:
> In Section 2.3.2 BGP Auto-Discovery Device Role Requirements
> >>Should we define the Code Points for the standard Device Roles and their corresponding functions?

At this point in the process, I'm going to suggest we wait on that.  The
draft provides some example roles.  But, until the code space is defined,
we'll be speaking a bit too abstractly, I think.

I suspect this activity will happen early in the protocol work once IDR
picks up the design requirements.

> In Section 2.4 Operator Configuration
> >>Are we planning to use the BGP Autoconf mechanism for the session validation purposes? If so, how Autoconf would be used to collect the information to validate the sessions. I think we need to describe a little more here.

I've added text in a new section, Error Handling Considerations.  Please see
if that addresses the concerns.

> In Section 5.5    Discovery at Layer Seven
> "Rendezvous approaches may appeal to deployments which favor a central control framework.
> On the other hand, those who favor distributed protocols will have the classic worries about fragility, redundancy, reliability, etc."
>
> >>Reading through this section it is not clear what specific Layer Seven approach we are recommending here.

We decided on our call this week to drop that section.

-- Jeff