Re: [Bier] WGLC: draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 20 December 2021 20:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 21:13:04 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: bier-chairs@ietf.org
Cc: Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>, BIER WG <bier@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Bier] WGLC: draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response

Dear BIER WG-chairs

a) As authors, we are pinging other WG members to ask for more reviews within BIER-WG.

b) Picking up on Alvaros suggestion (thanks a lot), i would like to request
  on behalf of the authors a TSVART (Transport Area Review Team).

(we will ask for Application Area review later.. working ourselves up the stack).

Here is the suggested text for the datatracker form through which
you WG chairs could reques

Deadline:

  02-15-2022

Document revision:

  draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-06

Requester's comments and instructions

  The authors are requesting early review of the document from transport area.

  The following is a motivational summary of the purpose of this document:

  Adaptive bitrate streaming (such as today DASH) for live-streaming or short-tail can
  use Multicast to improve network efficiency by eliminating duplicate transmission
  of the same data segments to multiple users requiring the same bitrate. This
  was shown and used in products as early as 200x (e.g.: Digital Fountain).
  These solutions never proliferated because of the intrinsic signaling problems
  of IP Multicast causing severe performance/scale/operational issues.

  These IP Multicast limitations can today be overcome with the novel BIER
  multicast mechanism. This document describes an application solution layer
  architecture in which BIER is used as the multicast mechanism for HTTP
  adaptive bitrate streaming including the use of BIER-TE for including
  path steering optimizations into the solution. This document is solely
  informational and does not intend to establish any standards for the IETF.

Thank you so much
    Toerless (for the authors)