Re: [Bier] BIER v6 requirements draft comments: draft-ietf-bier-ipv6-requirements ...

"Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com> Fri, 22 November 2019 10:02 UTC

From: "Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com>
To: "Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <rajiva@cisco.com>, Mike McBride <mmcbride7@gmail.com>
CC: "bier@ietf.org" <bier@ietf.org>, Antoni Przygienda <prz=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:01:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.52.40.236]
Subject: Re: [Bier] BIER v6 requirements draft comments: draft-ietf-bier-ipv6-requirements ...

Hi all,

Thank you all for raising your concerns on the list and on the ietf106 mic.
Have talked to you guys more after the session, and watched the video more, and I find I have understand your concerns.
I'd like to continue this debating now, to avoid forgetting anything and avoid the discussion freezing.

The raised questions include, the L2.5 and L3, TTL, OAM, security. Req 4.2, 4.3 and 4.11, and so on.

I summarized as that, all the concerns come from the fact that, 12 requirements in the v6-requirements draft are target the IPv6 L3 BIER, and it can be shortened into one requirement: Requiring L3 BIER based on IPv6 !

And then, all the above concerns comes from the "L3 BIER" requirement, summarized as below:
1.Do we need it ?
2.Does it breaks BIER architecture?
3.Does it brings more security problems when deploying ?
4.How should the solutions be, such as TTL/OAM /Multicast or unicast DA used/Multicast or unicast SA used/etc.

So maybe we can get this debating started on the first concern, Do we need it ? why do we need it ? why other solutions like L2.5/L4+ don't satisfy that?

I'd like to list my initial thoughts that, we really need a L3 BIER, for ease of BIER deployment in IPv6 network, within a larger BIER domain (which is beyond the normal BIER domain which is normally an IGP domain or IGP area/level), and leverages the reachability of IPv6 unicast address.

Your thoughts?

Best Regards,
Jingrong