[Bier] BIER-TE -07 uploaded (was: Re: Pls "vote" on name (draft-ietf-bier-te-arch))

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 11 March 2020 22:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:12:57 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: bier@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-bier-te-arch.ad@ietf.org
Subject: [Bier] BIER-TE -07 uploaded (was: Re: Pls "vote" on name (draft-ietf-bier-te-arch))

Thanks for everybody chiming into the WG last call of this document,
i hope the chairs can declare it to have successfully finished WG
work now and pass it to the responsible AD for further IETF processing:

I did push the -07 update to the draft that changes the name to
BIER-TE "Tree Engineering" as shown to be the consensus of the WG.

I btw. also like "Tree Engineering" the most, but did not
suggest it initially, in an attempt to satisfy Debra's concern,
but also agree very much with what Greg said about the point.
Also, see my email reply to Debra early and the points it made.

-07 also includes explanation about that name change and the relationship
to "Traffic Engineering" as a note on top of the document marked for removal
by RFC-editor, so that further reviews by AD/IETF/IESG can be on top of
the these two points without the need to argue about the RFC viability of such
explanations (was not sure everybody reads changelog).

I had hoped to receive a followup from Lou re. his suggestion for
additional text about "Traffic Engineering". I also polled him in PM
last week, but no further reply. This is not a complained, i know
how everybody is busy, but i think if he wants to provide further simple text to
provide additional documentation for that relationship, then he can
always do it still in IETF review.

Nevertheless, i feel it would be more appropriate to take relationships
about Tree Engineering and Traffic Engineering to the
proposed TEAS BIER-TE framework document, which i am happy to revive
and improve upon after this draft is an RFC. Especially also given
Alias guidance when we adopted the document in the WG, that traffic
engineering must be done in TEAS and that BIER should only do the
BIER related forwarding plane aspects. Which is exactly what the
document does.

IMHO, there are no further "Traffic Engineering" considerations
that would change any technical aspects of this document. As i
explained in another email, both BIER and BIER-TE could be part of
a traffic engineering as i understand the options. BIER of course
being more limited by the path steering solution it is combined with,
like Flex-Algos). Hence i feel further "Traffic Engineering" aspects
would be misplaced in this document anyhow.

Cheers
    Toerless