Re: [Bier] BIER: draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-01 with performance analysis simulation

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 10 February 2022 16:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:51:11 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn
Cc: bier@ietf.org, bing.xu@huawei.com, zzhang=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Bier] BIER: draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-01 with performance analysis simulation

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 09:16:28AM +0800, zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn wrote:
> Hi Toerless,
> Haven't read the new version of CGM2/RBS, just have the same question with Jeffrey.
> If I understand BIER-TE and CGM2/RBS solutions right, the forwarding tables of the two methods are only focus on the local links.
> So the table's scale for the two solutions is almost same.

Jeffrey wasn't asking about BIER-TE (i think).

> The commen issue of the two solution is the BSL limitation.
> BIER-TE solution has an exclusive issue that the BP needs to be assigned globally.
> But in CGM2/RBS solution, the BP needs not to be assigned globally.
> So the main difference of the two solutions is: is it necessary to assign the BP globally, right?

That is one core difference, yes. And it eliminates IMHO all the scaling
challenges we have with BIER-TE (that we try to compensate for to some degree with
controller based bit optimizations). But as discussed in the answer to Jeffs message,
the fact that the encoding in CGM2/RBS is a tree means that we also eliminate
the BIER/BIER-TE issue that a bitstring can carry a lot of unnecessary (zero) bits
and need to make multiple copies just because some BFER or adjacencies have their
bits in different SI (in larger topologies).

Cheers
    Toerless