Re: [Bier] BIER: draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-01 with performance analysis simulation

"Xubing (Robin)" <bing.xu@huawei.com> Wed, 16 February 2022 02:47 UTC

From: "Xubing (Robin)" <bing.xu@huawei.com>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, "zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn" <zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn>
CC: "bier@ietf.org" <bier@ietf.org>, "zzhang=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org" <zzhang=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org>, Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 02:46:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.235.3]
Subject: Re: [Bier] BIER: draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-01 with performance analysis simulation

>On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 09:59:40AM +0800, zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn wrote:

>> Hi Toerless,

>> Thank you very much for your response!

>> I have one more question, let we consider CGM2/RBS solution only.

>> Since all the bits have local significance in CGM2/RBS,  what if we want to send one flow to multiple BFERs but we don't want to indicate any path?

>> In this case we can't reach the BFERs because we don't put any path bits in the BitString and there is no global BIFT in the intermediate nodes, right?

>Right. This is how we've introduced CGM2/RBS and it makes it very simple and IMHO elegant.

>And seemingly from the first simulations also quite competitive versus the "flat bitstring" BIER/TE approach in terms of replications required with same address size. More simulations would be great.

Let me introduce some detail about the simulation as follow:

We divide the overall topology into 160 domains, each of which includes 180 egress points, providing the total of 28000 egress points.

We randomly select egress points as group members, with the total number ranging from 10 to 28800. And total samples is 60.

In order to compare the encoding mechanism more fairly, we limit the size of the bitString to 256 bits (the typical size of BIER ) in both BIER and CGM2.

[image]

Conclusion:

  1.  BIER reaches its 160 packet replication limit at about 500 users, while CGM2 encoding reaching its limit of 125 replications at about 12000 users.
  2.  The decreasing of replications above12000 users about CGM2 is caused by the use of node-local broadcast as a further optimization.
  3.  CGM2 can completely break the 256-bit encapsulation limit, which cannot be easily broken by BIER, thus allowing the source to send fewer multicast streams.
  4.  CGM2 encoding performs is significantly better than BIER in sparse scenario.

Sincerely,

Bing Xu

Network Laboratory, 2012Labs, Huawei Technologies Co.,Ltd.

Tel : +86 13811353690 / Email : bing.xu@huawei.com

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

> I have one more question, let we consider CGM2/RBS solution only.

> Since all the bits have local significance in CGM2/RBS,  what if we want to send one flow to multiple BFERs but we don't want to indicate any path?

> In this case we can't reach the BFERs because we don't put any path bits in the BitString and there is no global BIFT in the intermediate nodes, right?

Right. This is how we've introduced CGM2/RBS and it makes it very simple and IMHO elegant.

And seemingly from the first simulations also quite competitive versus the "flat bitstring" BIER/TE approach in terms of replications required with same address size. More simulations would be great.

Cheers

    Toerless