[Bier] Lars Eggert's No Objection on draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10: (with COMMENT)

Lars Eggert via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 24 August 2021 09:12 UTC

From: Lars Eggert via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-bier-te-arch@ietf.org, bier-chairs@ietf.org, bier@ietf.org, Xuesong Geng <gengxuesong@huawei.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, gengxuesong@huawei.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 02:12:48 -0700
Subject: [Bier] Lars Eggert's No Objection on draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10: (with COMMENT)

Lars Eggert has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch/

COMMENT:

Robert Spark's GenART review on Aug 8 flagged a long list of issues and
nits that I haven't seen a response to yet. Please respond to Robert.

Section 1. , paragraph 12, comment:
>    Bloom filters in general can support larger trees/topologies with
>    fewer addressing bits than explicit BitStrings, but they introduce
>    the heuristic risk of false positives and cannot clear bits in the
>    BitString during forwarding to avoid loops.  For these reasons, BIER-
>    TE uses explicit BitStrings like BIER.  The explicit BitStrings of
>    BIER-TE can also be seen as a special type of Bloom filter, and this
>    is how related work [ICC] describes it.

There is research work on Bloom filters without false positives, e.g.,
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8486415. Don't want to start a long
debate, but was just wondering if these newer approaches wouldn't be suitable?

Found terminology that should be reviewed for inclusivity; see
https://www.rfc-editor.org/part2/#inclusive_language for background and more
guidance:

 * Term "native"; alternatives might be "built-in", "fundamental",
   "ingrained", "intrinsic", "original".

All comments below are about very minor potential issues that you may choose to
address in some way - or ignore - as you see fit. Some were flagged by
automated tools (via https://github.com/larseggert/ietf-reviewtool), so there
will likely be some false positives. There is no need to let me know what you
did with these suggestions.

Section 2.3. , paragraph 2, nit:
-    BIER-TE is designed so that is forwarding plane is a simple extension
+    BIER-TE is designed so that its forwarding plane is a simple extension
+                                 +

Section 5.3.3. , paragraph 7, nit:
-    that is unique to the BFR in question.  For a BFIR this can be he
+    that is unique to the BFR in question.  For a BFIR this can be the
+                                                                   +

Section 2.1. , paragraph 15, nit:
> ies are called "forward_routed". Otherwise there is no difference in their p
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^
A comma may be missing after the conjunctive/linking adverb "Otherwise".

Section 2.2. , paragraph 3, nit:
> The BIER forwarding plane, with the exception of how bits have to be cleared
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Consider using "except" or "except for".

Section 3.2.1.1. , paragraph 4, nit:
> ne The BIER-TE Forwarding Plane constitutes of the following components: 1. O
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean "consists of"?

Section 4.1. , paragraph 5, nit:
> meter. The seed parameter allows to design hash functions that are easy to i
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean "designing"? Or maybe you should add a pronoun? In active voice,
"allow" + "to" takes an object, usually a pronoun.

Section 4.4. , paragraph 6, nit:
> A DID NOT MIND ANOTHER EXAMPLE. Step by step example of basic BIER-TE forwar
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean the adjective or adverb "Step-by-step" (spelled with hyphens)?

Section 4.4. , paragraph 23, nit:
> ER-TE forwarding functions can be implement via the same Forwarding Pseudocod
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^
The past participle is required after "can be".

Section 4.5. , paragraph 5, nit:
> re Non-Leaf BFER as shown on the right hand side, one traffic copy would be
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean the adjective "right-hand"?

Section 4.5. , paragraph 5, nit:
> hich makes BFER2 a non-Leaf BFER. Likewise BFER1 is a non-Leaf BFER when forw
>                                   ^^^^^^^^
A comma may be missing after the conjunctive/linking adverb "Likewise".

Section 4.5. , paragraph 5, nit:
> FER2. Note that the BFERs in the left hand picture are only guaranteed to be
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean the adjective "left-hand"?

Section 4.5. , paragraph 9, nit:
> BFER can be used to distinguish whether or not packets should reach the BFER.
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Consider shortening this phrase to just "whether". It is correct though if you
mean "regardless of whether".

Section 5.1.2. , paragraph 1, nit:
> h (ECMP) The ECMP adjacency allows to use just one BP per link bundle between
>                                    ^^^^^^
Did you mean "using"? Or maybe you should add a pronoun? In active voice,
"allow" + "to" takes an object, usually a pronoun.

Section 5.1.6. , paragraph 9, nit:
> ted() adjacencies can also allow to operate BIER-TE across intermediate hop
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean "operating"? Or maybe you should add a pronoun? In active voice,
"allow" + "to" takes an object, usually a pronoun.

Section 5.1.7. , paragraph 1, nit:
> that have arrived at BFR1 or BFR4 via a shortest path in the routing underlay
>                                       ^
Use "the" before the superlative.

Section 5.1.10. , paragraph 9, nit:
>  but instead that they will allow to express desirable path steering alternat
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
Did you mean "expressing"? Or maybe you should add a pronoun? In active voice,
"allow" + "to" takes an object, usually a pronoun.

Section 5.2.1. , paragraph 10, nit:
> rlay applications to operate independently from the controller whenever it n
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The usual collocation for "independently" is "of", not "from". Did you mean
"independently of"?

Document references draft-ietf-bier-multicast-http-response-05, but -06 is the
latest available revision.

Document references draft-ietf-bier-non-mpls-bift-encoding-03, but -04 is the
latest available revision.

Document references draft-ietf-bier-te-yang-02, but -03 is the latest available
revision.

Document references draft-ietf-teas-rfc3272bis-11, but -12 is the latest
available revision.

These URLs in the document can probably be converted to HTTPS:
 * http://www.github.com/toerless/bier-te-arch