Re: Metcalfes "imminent death of the internet" prediction

Jeremy Porter <jerry@fc.net> Fri, 26 July 1996 14:21 UTC

To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: "Kent W. England" <kwe@6sigmanets.com>, big-internet@munnari.oz.au
Subject: Re: Metcalfes "imminent death of the internet" prediction
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:08:56 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@ietf.org
From: Jeremy Porter <jerry@fc.net>

In message <m0ujaYZ-0004zqC@roam.psg.com>, Randy Bush writes:
>Jack Ricard's response to Metcalfe's imminent demise prediction:
>> Having survived the 327 deaths of FidoNet, I don't doubt it. I just don't
>> think anyone will be able to tell without test instruments."
>
>There is an interesting analog between the folk trying to set up 'fake' root
>name servers and the FidoNet schismic nodelists.  Unless the masses believe
>in your namespace, it is vaccuous.

Actually that is more of a software problem that anything else.  The
fact that the old Fido software didn't understand different authoratative
sources.  The fact that the IANA didn't release more top level domains to
other registries, is going to cause the schism(s).  Top down managment
of the root space one work, a cooperative root zone is needed, with
consensus by market share.

Really if Metcalfe wanted to predidict a death of the Internet,
this whole top level domain issue is more of a problem.   (Routing problems
are technologically solvable, and the TLD issue is only sociologically solvable.)

But I guess this is wandering from the topic at hand somewhat, and no one
really wants to beat this dead horse again.

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry@fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-458-9816
http://www.fc.net