Re: [Bimi] Alternate proposal

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 21 July 2022 19:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 15:35:20 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Trent Adams <tadams=40proofpoint.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, bimi@ietf.org
cc: Todd Herr <todd.herr=40valimail.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Bimi] Alternate proposal

Trent,

Many thanks for your response -- it is, perhaps obviously, what
I hope you would say but I was feeling in some need of
reassurance.

Two quick comments:

(1) Consideration of what discussion is most useful and the
timing should, IMO, belong, at least for the present, with you
and your co-authors.  But please consider how you would
determine the right time to switch from picking at the documents
to asking higher-level questions about whether the approach is
right and when/whether other approaches should be considered
(even if only a strawman proposals to encourage more thinking
and even if the assumption is that we will then come back to the
documents).

(2) I can't speak for others but, especially with IETF 114 and
related commitments imminent, I, at least, would welcome you and
your colleagues having a discussion among yourselves, about
what, based on the list discussion so far,   you think the key
issues are and posting a summary of that discussion.  That does
not in any way take away from the open discussion on the list
that we agree is critical -- I'd assume some of the rest of us
might disagree with your conclusions (and, as you have figured
out, few of us are shy).  But I think that such a summary might
usefully focus the discussions without constraining them.  And,
if there are places where you disagree, that is probably an
important area for us to focus on too.

thanks,
   john

--On Thursday, July 21, 2022 18:43 +0000 Trent Adams