Re: [Bimi] Bimi Goals (was: Re: Thoughts about MUA/BIMI)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Fri, 12 August 2022 17:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 13:27:07 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Brotman, Alex" <Alex_Brotman=40comcast.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "BIMI (IETF) (bimi@ietf.org)" <bimi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Bimi] Bimi Goals (was: Re: Thoughts about MUA/BIMI)

Alex,

However, the key point I think Dave was trying to make (I'm sure
he will correct me if I misinterpreted him) was that, if the
goal is to convey a standardized (and, I would add, provably
authorized) image from sender to recipient, then imposing DMARC
as an a-priori requirement prevents consideration of options
that might work better or involve less complexity.  That is
independent of whether there are better options out there that
do not involve DMARC (even though I've become convinced there
are) -- the cutting off of discussion of such options is the
problem.

And, from that standpoint, making the goal "promote DMARC"
rather than just "use DMARC at part of an approach" seems even
worse, especially in the context of the IETF having an active WG
dedicated to sorting out perceived deficiencies in DMARC.

best,
  john

--On Friday, August 12, 2022 16:37 +0000 "Brotman, Alex"