Re: [BLISS] WGLC for draft-ietf-bliss-call-completion-07

"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@digium.com> Tue, 28 December 2010 16:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:27:09 -0600
From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@digium.com>
To: Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de
Cc: bliss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BLISS] WGLC for draft-ietf-bliss-call-completion-07

On 12/27/2010 09:29 AM, Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to rephrase it:
>

> "The caller's UA sends an INVITE to a request URI. One or more forks of this request reach one or more of the callee's UAs. If the call-completion feature is available, the callee's monitor (note there can be a monitor for each of the callee's UAs) inserts a Call-Info header with its URI and with "purpose=call-completion" in appropriate non-100 provisional or final response messages to the initial INVITE and forwards them to the caller. On receipt of a non-100 provisional or a final response with the indication that the call-completion feature is available, the calling user can invoke the feature. The reason for invoking usually is a situation where the INVITE fails and the resulting dialog(s) are terminated, or a 200 OK to the INVITE was received from some other UA (e.g. the callee's voicemail)."

This looks much better to me, all except the last sentence.

I'm not sure we need an example of why a user might wish to invoke call
completion services at this point in the document; the rationale for
this entire set of services is spelled out earlier in the document, and
providing an example like this sometimes results in implementors
incorrectly assuming that invoking the services as a result of other
circumstances is not allowed by the RFC.

If we do leave the example in, I'd prefer it to be worded like this, though:

====
Frequently, the call-completion feature will be invoked by the caller
(by requesting that their UA do so) when the initial INVITE did not
result in a session being established with the callee. This could occur
if all of the callee's UAs respond with failure responses (4xx or 5xx
response codes), or even if one of the callee's UAs responds with a '200
OK' but that UA does not actually connect the caller to the callee (a
voicemail system, for example).
====

It isn't possible for 'some other UA' to respond with a 200 OK to the
INVITE; the only UAs that can respond to the INVITE are those that are
included in the set of "callee's UAs" as defined earlier in the
paragraph. Another UA could become involved if one of the callee's UAs
responds with a 302, but I don't think you want to complicate this text
with trying to accommodate that example.