Re: [BLISS] Updated open issues list fordraft-ietf-bliss-call-completion-05

"WORLEY, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com> Wed, 26 May 2010 17:22 UTC

From: "WORLEY, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
To: "Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de" <Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:20:52 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "bliss@ietf.org" <bliss@ietf.org>, "L.Liess@telekom.de" <L.Liess@telekom.de>, "R.Jesske@telekom.de" <R.Jesske@telekom.de>
Subject: Re: [BLISS] Updated open issues list fordraft-ietf-bliss-call-completion-05

I am starting to respond to Martin's response to my "open issues list"
message.  This message is primarily for Martin (who is editing the -06
version of the draft), but is also intended for the Bliss community.

Regarding these issues:
* 1011  Forking of the CC SUBSCRIBE to multiple destinations
* 2004 Failure codes for CC SUBSCRIBE

> From: 	Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de
>
> > From: Dale Worley
> > Subject: [BLISS] Updated open issues list for
> >          draft-ietf-bliss-call-completion-05
>
> > * 1011  Forking of the CC SUBSCRIBE to multiple destinations
> >
> > Andrew Hutton notes that the SIP stack in some UAs may not be
> > able to send several SUBSCRIBEs to several destinations using
> > the same Call-Id.
> >
> > The answer is that it is not *necessary* for these SUBSCRIBEs
> > to be forks of the same transaction.  If they have separate
> > Call-Ids, there are certain inefficiencies but no loss of
> > functionality:  A monitor might receive forks of more than
> > one of these SUBSCRIBEs and not realize that they are merged
> > requests, and will establish multiple queue elements.  But
> > only one of these queue elements will be selected for callback.
> >
> >     We need to add some text to section 6.2 about this.  (I think
> >     in older versions there was a requirement that the same
> >     Call-Id should be used.)  This shouldn't be difficult to
> >     address as it is actually an efficiency measure.
>
> Maybe we could suggest the usage of the same Call ID with a SHOULD?

Yes, I agree, "SHOULD" captures what we want to say.

> > * 2004 Failure codes for CC SUBSCRIBE
> >
> > [New for -05.]  The text is inconsistent regarding the
> > failure code for a CC SUBSCRIBE for a call that the monitor
> > has no record of:  7.2 says 404, 9.7 says 481.  It seems to
> > me that 404 should be reserved for SUBSCRIBEs for which the
> > monitor cannot identify the managed AOR, and 481 used for
> > SUBSCRIBEs that designate a proper AOR but not a known call
> > for that AOR.
>
> I agree with your analysis. My proposal is to solve this inconsistency
> with a clear definition in subclause 9.7, and delete the regarding
> definitions from subclause 7.2, in order to avoid redundant
> specification.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps add a reference from 7.2
to 9.7.

Dale