RE: [bmwg] Meeting Minutes Review: IPsec Terminology

Merike Kaeo <kaeo@merike.com> Tue, 28 October 2003 22:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:40:18 -0800
To: sporetsky@quarrytech.com, brian.talbert@mci.com, mbustos@ixiacom.com, bmwg@ietf.org
From: Merike Kaeo <kaeo@merike.com>
Subject: RE: [bmwg] Meeting Minutes Review: IPsec Terminology
Cc: ipsec-term@external.cisco.com
Sender: bmwg-admin@ietf.org

I think some packet sizes should be explicitly stated so that results would
be comparable if different testing devices were used to test different
products.  I personally like the idea of using 64-byte, 768-byte, 1518-byte
and 4470-byte packets if for no other reason that it covers a mix.  Min and
max mtu is always good to catch sw issues and then some mid-size packets
give you feel for what performance curve looks like for a device.  The
768-byte number can be removed or replaced with another size.....just threw
it out there......somewhy I remember that looking at corporate network
traffic data from a few years back produced a lot of traffic around that size.

- merike