[bmwg] Comment on meth-18.

"McLendon, John" <John.McLendon@spirent.com> Wed, 15 July 2009 21:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:59:30 -0700
From: "McLendon, John" <John.McLendon@spirent.com>
To: Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>, bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: [bmwg] Comment on meth-18.

Hi all,
I have a comment on the following statement in Sec 4, top of pp. 9, in
meth-18:

"For Convergence Events caused by the Tester, such as an IGP cost
change, the Tester may start to drop all traffic received from the
Preferred Egress
Interface at the Convergence Event Instant to achieve the same result."

The word "drop" implies that the test device forwards or drops traffic.
In my experience, test devices neither forward or drop traffic. They may
generate or analyze traffic, but a test device dropping traffic doesn't
seem helpful to the desired measurement. Many test devices can bring a
link down at the physical layer.

J...